Bagging Problem

honda mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a late model Honda, maybe 2 yrs old, that mulches & bags. Problem is when bagging the cuttings blow past the black drop cover that lies over where the bag is connected. It is so bad that its miserable to mow when bagging. This is the highest end Honda mower on the market when purchased except for the key start mower. My old Honda (10+ yrs) never had this problem. Very disappointed. Does anyone else experience this.

Thanks

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a late model Honda, maybe 2 yrs old, that mulches & bags. Problem is when bagging the cuttings blow past the black drop cover that lies over where the bag is connected. It is so bad that its miserable to mow when bagging. This is the highest end Honda mower on the market when purchased except for the key start mower. My old Honda (10+ yrs) never had this problem. Very disappointed. Does anyone else experience this.

Thanks

Get me the serial number off the back of the mower deck; I can check with our Customer Relations and Engineering departments to see what they can tell me about this. The serial number is 7 digits, and starts with a 4-letter code, usually MXXX-1234567.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

honda mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

I appreciate your assistance.

Model: HRX2172HXA

Serial No: MAGA-1548610

Let me know if I need to send pictures or other explanation.

Thank you !!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert,

I appreciate your assistance.

Model: HRX2172HXA

Serial No: MAGA-1548610

Let me know if I need to send pictures or other explanation.

Thank you !!

I've passed this on to CR and the model engineer. Hang on, and I'll have a answer ASAP.

honda mower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I can not imagine that I am the only one experiencing this problem. I have made no modifications to the mower or bag so I would think everyone with this style Honda would be experiencing the same. As mentioned prior, my previous older (10+ yrs) Honda had no bagging issues & worked great. Anxious to hear from you.

Thank you.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, I spoke at length with our Customer Relations experts and the model engineer. Here's what they say:

* The mower was registered 3 years ago; has it always had this problem, or just now? Have you changed landscaping or seeded with different grass? Mowing a different lawn? Anything else changed in when/how/what you are mowing?

* The grass bag should capture nearly all the clippings under normal conditions. If the bag frame or where it connects to the mower deck is bent, damaged, or if the rear door is not aligned correctly, there will be problems. If you're not sure, get it inspected by a Honda dealer. Problems associated with loose clippings may be the result of a missing, damaged, or incorrectly installed part or assembly.

* The grass bag should be clean and free of debris. When empty and the blades engaged, the bag should inflate and bulge out a bit like a balloon. Too much dirt, mold, etc. can block the fabric and reduce airflow and clippings won't get directed into the bag.

* In certain turf/mowing conditions, partially closing the VersaMow door, maybe 1-2 notches away from BAG, can improve the flow of clippings and help bagging performance.

* The blades, both of them, should be sharp and in good condition (not bent, cracked or excessively worn); blades can really be a source of problems; in this case, lift and suction more than cutting.

* The engine speed must be at the correct RPM; if you don't have a tachometer, any Honda dealer can check this for you.

* Try lowering the mowing height 1 or 2 positions to increase suction and airflow and see if the situation improves.

Hope these suggestions help!