Bad governor

muddy51

Threads
Hey y'all,
Neighbor brought me his mower saying it wouldn't start. It's a 2016 Troy Bilt In Step and looks pretty fresh. Engine is a Briggs 121S02-0068-F1. He had replaced the air filter element, spark plug and changed the oil with no joy. First thing I found was one of the bolts holding the intake manifold on was loose by about 3 threads. Opened up the carb and there was a little crud floating around in the gas in the bowl but overall looked pretty good. Main jet was stopped up so I cleaned it out with a torch cleaner, spray cleaner and compressed air. Needle and seat works as it should and float level is good. The choke butterfly was completely stuck wide open so I got some oil on it and worked it back and forth until free. Put it back together and expected it to start on first pull. It did...but was stuck wide open. Governor is not working at all. Everything is working freely...just no input from inside engine. I suppose this is what I've been reading about in other posts. Not really worth buying the parts and repairing so it can do it again in a year or so. What model Briggs engine would you recommend to replace with? Can't expect much when you buy a mower at Lowes. Disposable lawnmowers. There oughta be a law.
mud

Richard Milhous

Threads
People used lawn mowers for generations without governors at all. You can still get a choke cable for like ten bucks to push the throttle; it might also serve as an ignition cutoff.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
In my opinion, repair that engine.
all you need is a governor/slinger assembly a sump gasket, and oil seal ( i usually replace the seal as precaution only when i remove the sump cover)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Might be as simple as doing a doing a static governor adjustment. But I would run the engine with a fail governor as it also the oil slinger.

muddy51

Threads
Might be as simple as doing a doing a static governor adjustment. But I would run the engine with a fail governor as it also the oil slinger.
I'm not sure what you mean by "static governor adjustment. I started the engine but the governor rod does not move to slow the
engine down. No strange noises but I don't want to run it again with potential loose parts floating around to break something else.
Thanks for your help.
mud