(Backfire Out Of Exhaust (At Idle) Question

boodaddy

Forum Newbie
Hey Guys,

Just got my rebuilt engine put back together, and mounted. Started right up, but at low RPM or idle it tends to backfire a lot out of the exhaust. At higher RPM it sounds fine, and every so often a little backfire. What could be the issue?

The carb was rebuilt with a kit, and triple checked timing marks before putting the engine back together. I used a air gun for the flywheel wheel, so I believe that's all good and tight. I used a business card to gap the Magneto, so I think that is good. Plug is new. Gap is .003 for the intake, and .005 for the exhaust.

I'm not sure if the mixture screw is off or not. I started 1 1/2 turns out if I turn it counterclockwise the engine will speed up, and slow down clockwise.

Here is the Youtube link to the video I took of it running in case it helps. (Apologize for it being a little shaky.) Briggs & Stratton Rough Idle & Backfire - YouTube

Appreciate any help and advice.
 
On mixture screws, I turn counter-clockwise to enrichen it until it starts to bog down and blow black smoke. Then I slowly turn it clockwise until it picks up highest rpm. Then leave it. Sounds like it's running lean and not getting enough gas. The exhaust backfire could be from a sticking valve.
 
Back
Top