Baby Mockingbirds

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I've been watching these since the first egg was laid. Now there's 4 of them hatched. Today they found their voices, and boy were they singing. (Or better yet, screaming for food) Their nest is right beside the garage in a crape myrtle, so I've been able to get a sneak peak when momma flies off to get food.
But today, while I was cleaning out the garage, I didn't notice momma flying in regularly. This got me curious and I watched very closely. But never saw her or the daddy fly in once. Granted, I wasn't watching every minute. But on normal days, I'd see her fly in regularly.
Well, at 10:30pm, I went out to check the nest, and still no momma.
I don't know enough about mockingbirds to know their parenting skills. But I do know babies have to be fed at least once every hour.
Now I'm worried sick.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
call your local dept of fish and game, see what they suggest. Mockingbirds are protected under an early 1900's treaty and messing with them is criminal. Here they dive bomb the squirrels, cats, people and we have to leave them alone.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well then I am criminal because I have raised multiple wild birds over the years where the parents were killed or one of the babies fall out of the nest. I even had one Robin that fire ants had killed all of her brother and sisters that I raised and she stayed with me for 7 years. She could had left anytime as I left the doors open at times. I would find here just sunning in the doorway. She just wanted to stay.

Here is a time a had my phone with me after she had taken a water bath and was sunning in the doorway.
1686570954195.png
Man she looked a mess at the time.

If you are going near the nest usually the parents will be close enough to seeming attack you or at least be screaming at you. I even had one Mockingbird that I would catch regularly on the wing as her nest was in my black berries. I would give a good scratching and she would just go and get on the nest afterwards.

It recommend that humans and especially their offspring stay away from the nest most times as some birds will abandon their young especially young inexperience parents. But it is a little to stay clear of the nests as they are right at my doors. I even got a Jenny Wren that regularly builds in my shop every year. Last she built her nest in one of my customer's UTV and I had to keep it until she got the little ones out. I even was working on the UTV while they were there. Just couldn't drive it off.

I do suspect that something has happen the parents however. Just too many damn vehicles out there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well then I am criminal because I have raised multiple wild birds over the years where the parents were killed or one of the babies fall out of the nest. I even had one Robin that fire ants had killed all of her brother and sisters that I raised and she stayed with me for 7 years. She could had left anytime as I left the doors open at times. I would find here just sunning in the doorway. She just wanted to stay.

Here is a time a had my phone with me after she had taken a water bath and was sunning in the doorway.
View attachment 65044

If you are going near the nest usually the parents will be close enough to seeming attack you or at least be screaming at you. I even had one Mockingbird that I would catch regularly on the wing as her nest was in my black berries. I would give a good scratching and she would just go and get on the nest afterwards.

It recommend that humans and especially their offspring stay away from the nest most times as some birds will abandon their young especially young inexperience parents. But it is a little to stay clear of the nests as they are right at my doors. I even got a Jenny Wren that regularly builds in my shop every year. Last she built her nest in one of my customer's UTV and I had to keep it until she got the little ones out. I even was working on the UTV while they were there. Just couldn't drive it off.

I do suspect that something has happen the parents however. Just too many damn vehicles out there.
More likely a cat
Apart from cockatoos of various kinds that have a warped sense of humour so will throw pine cones & macadamia nuts at me if I have neglected to crack the shells for them the only aggressive birds around here are magpies, but once to feed them a few times they identify you as a good guy and no longer swoop if you get too near their nest .
And they remember you for life so when I turn the compost they will sit on the bin rim waiting for me to reveal a nice fat white curl grub or when I use the push mower they will walk beside or just behind to grab any insects that are disturbed by the mower

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But cats just don't survive me. they leave one of two ways. Feet first or are taken to a town 20 miles away. Either they are not a problem very long around here.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

View attachment 65044

I got my other phone out and installed "Alfred" on it. Using it as a security camera. It's pointed at the nest from my kitchen window. Still no signs of mom.
I fed them a little watered down cat food last night, mixed with some egg.
I'm going to give it another hour and if I don't see any signs of a parent, I'm going to go looking for some worms or any eggs. I fed a few babies a couple of years ago ant eggs before I took them to a bird rehab. The rehab lady said she'd never heard of feeding babies ant eggs before. But thought it was probably a great idea.
Sadly, two days after being in the care of the rehab lady, they all died. I'm guessing she should've used ant eggs. lol
I'm going to give it another hour or so and if I don't see any parent, I'm to go searching for some bugs.

The momma didn't seem to mind me being close. I was within 3 feet of the nest when she was feeding them. Even peaked in within 2 ft and she seemed fine with it. I never got dive bombed.
That's probably because I threw out bread for her every day. And leave a little on the edge of her nest.

I once rescued a wood pecker from coyote. It was in pretty bad shape. I brought it in the house, stuck it in an open box with a towel. And it sat there watching me for a couple of hours. But then it got to flying around the house, so I caught it and took it outside. Put it on the edge of the fence and it just sat there for a few minutes, until it flew off.
I like wild animals more than pets. lol

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
More likely a cat
Apart from cockatoos of various kinds that have a warped sense of humour so will throw pine cones & macadamia nuts at me if I have neglected to crack the shells for them the only aggressive birds around here are magpies, but once to feed them a few times they identify you as a good guy and no longer swoop if you get too near their nest .
And they remember you for life so when I turn the compost they will sit on the bin rim waiting for me to reveal a nice fat white curl grub or when I use the push mower they will walk beside or just behind to grab any insects that are disturbed by the mower

I'm afraid you may be right about the cat. There's a young cat that's convinced me to feed it every night. I even let her come in to eat. My my allergies won't allow me to keep her in the house.
She may have gotten the momma. Both mom and dad mockingbirds feed their babies. But I haven't seen either one.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
call your local dept of fish and game, see what they suggest. Mockingbirds are protected under an early 1900's treaty and messing with them is criminal. Here they dive bomb the squirrels, cats, people and we have to leave them alone.

They really go after the crows around here when they get too close. I've got video of them driving one crow crazy.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup, something has definitely happened to the momma and daddy. They've either died or have abandoned the nest. I just got back from the store with some oatmeal and found two of the babies dead. The other two aren't doing so well. But they ate a little of the moistened dry catfood. And now I'm about to mix up some of this oatmeal and find some bugs.