B&S Vanguard 9HP #185142 "OilGard" gizmo

IronTom

Forum Newbie
Threads
$100 "OilGard" gizmo - Note: the spelling is from B&S service manual #272147 (which is for water-cooled engines ???)

Engine has good compression, carb is functioning, cheap plastic gas tank leaks (above the generator)
... but there's a tin shroud, to direct the leak over-top the hot engine ! What a joke !

Un-happy owner said it never worked right, and had service receipts over 4 years, total over $1000 !!!
So he donated it to our non-profit organization. :cautious: Don't smirk - its a $350 tax deduction !

Brass tax: There is no sign of spark. Pulled flywheel cover to check wiring, noticed 'IIDA' stamped gizmo in the coil grounding wire.
Maybe a capacitor/condensor? NO, it grounds the coil, thus preventing the engine from running without oil in the crankcase.
Look it up - part #710305 'OilGuard' OVER $100 !!!

I have a question - if I snip the gizmo out of the grounding circuit, what of that 'other' wire that goes behind the flywheel ?
Where does it go ? I'll avoid pulling the flywheel if possible.

Your input is appreciated 🎩:)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shouldn't have snip anything just unplug it. Briggs is using the same system that Honda engines used and usually it is the float system inside the engine that has failed. The engine will run fine without it. Just have to keep the oil level checked.

I haven't had the oppertunity to try it but the Honda unit should work as a replacement module. I don't remember the Honda price. I have never brought one, just disconnected them.