B&S Vanguard 16hp not starting.

Gibsontb4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this engine in a Simplicity Broadmoore lawn tractor. A couple of weeks ago I ran it out of fuel. After refueling it wouldn’t start. Today I replaced the fuel pump, didn’t help. Took the carb off and cleaned it. When reassembling I tooI a Mighty Vac attached it to the fuel line after the pump and pulled fuel through the fuel pump to prime it. Then attached the line to the carb. I shot a little carb cleaner in the carb, chocked it and bam it started and ran until I shut it off in a couple of minutes. after cleaning up the tools and taking a few minutes to look at another mower I went back over to move it into the garage and now it won’t start again. The fuel shut off valve at the bottom of the float bowl is energizing, you can hear it click. So I don’t believe that’s the culprit. Other than replacing the fuel lines which I plan on doing tomorrow, has anyone got ideas what else to look at? Would adding a bulb primmer to the fuel line help and would it need to be before or after the filter?

Forest#2

Threads
Need engine model, type, code info?????????
If it starts with a prime it's PROBABLY your choke not working due to throttle linkage slipped
????????????

Gibsontb4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 303777
Type 1114-E1
Code 03020311

It’s a manual choke and can observe it opening and closing.
Started with carb cleaner only the one time. Won’t start with it now. It’s definitely a fuel problem. I’m guessing it’s not getting fuel to the carb. My guess is the fuel line has a hole in it somewhere and it’s causing air to be sucked in the line rather than fuel. The only thing wrong with that hypothesis is the Mighty Vac had no trouble moving fuel through the line.

Forest#2

Threads
Need engine model, type, code info?????????

Gibsontb4

Forum Newbie
Threads
All that info was in my 2nd post at the very top. But here it is again.

model 303777
Type 1114-E1
Code 03020311
It’s a Vanguard 16hp

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blow back up the fuel line ( not through pump because it has check valves in it
If mower runs and fuel lows remove thank and clean the crud out of it .