B & S Series 190400 Carburetor Problem

JEHunter

Threads
My 1994 vintage DR Field and Brush Mower has a B & S Model 190402 engine. It has been quite reliable until today. It started alright (as usual on the 5th pull) and seemed to be OK until I put the choke in the full run position. Doing that promptly killed the engine. I re-started the engine. This time I eased the choke to the full run position; the engine began to quit so I left it on half-choke and mowed for about five minutes. The mower operated properly but the engine exhaust was a bit smoky. The gas is new; I changed the oil and did other service just last week. I can't figure out what could have gone wrong so suddenly. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Main jet is partially clogged. Carb needs a good cleaning.

JEHunter

Threads
Thanks for the suggestion. Last year I talked with the guy who does most of my equipment service about this engine and how it leaks so much oil. I asked about having it rebuilt and he said that so long as using oil is its only problem, just keep topping it off. He went on to say that if something else happens, he would suggest replacing the engine rather than trying to repair or rebuild it. The engine is almost 20 years old, and gets about 50-60 hours use each summer, so maybe it's time to do that.