B & S Push Mower Stalls Out

bananas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a B & S 675 series Model 917.376450. After running good for 5 mins or so it begins to spudder runs at a very low speed, misses a few times and then stops. I have to wait 1/2 hr. or so before it may start.

4 yrs old never, had a problem until this last month. Any ideas??

chance123

Threads
Check your fuel cap and make sure it is venting. Also check for water in the bottom of the fuel tank

bananas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had cleand the vent cap and have put new fuel in the tank. results are the same but it did seem like it ran a little better after cleaning cap, however it still stalls out. I have gone through about 4 tanks of gas with the same result. Could I have purchased bad gas? Why would it run good after stilling for 20-30 mins then do it again?

Last edited:

Lawnranger

Threads
I had cleand the vent cap and have put new fuel in the tank. results are the same but it did seem like it ran a little better after cleaning cap, however it still stalls out. I have gone through about 4 tanks of gas with the same result. Could I have purchased bad gas? Why would it run good after stilling for 20-30 mins then do it again?

Next time the problem happens, check to see if you are losing spark. Sometimes the ignition coil will go open and stop producing spark when it gets hot and after it cools down it will start working until it gets hot again and repeat the cycle. If you don't know how to check for spark on a lawnmower, just go to youtube, search for related videos and watch them until you feel comfortable performing the check.

bananas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did check an have spark.
I took the mower to a small engine repair shop. First thing I noticed were all these mowers sitting around outside. I asked the owner about them and he said none of these work.

So I tell him my problem and he said it should be about a week to fix. 3 days later he calls an said he found a mouse nest and it had burned the engine. It would still run but only until it warmed up an then it would die.

I can understand a nest from the winter but this started happening in July, an I was cutting grass each week with no issues.

I'm wondering if the guy just kept my mower for the parts, or sold it as used after repairing.

Anyone familiar with something like this?

Lawnranger

Threads
I did check an have spark.
I took the mower to a small engine repair shop. First thing I noticed were all these mowers sitting around outside. I asked the owner about them and he said none of these work.

So I tell him my problem and he said it should be about a week to fix. 3 days later he calls an said he found a mouse nest and it had burned the engine. It would still run but only until it warmed up an then it would die.

I can understand a nest from the winter but this started happening in July, an I was cutting grass each week with no issues.

I'm wondering if the guy just kept my mower for the parts, or sold it as used after repairing.

Anyone familiar with something like this?

Are you saying that you didn't get your mower back?

bananas

Forum Newbie
Threads
They said the motor needed to be replaced. I decided it would not be worth the cost so he kept it.

I was wandering if this is some type of scam to get your mower.

Lawnranger

Threads
They said the motor needed to be replaced. I decided it would not be worth the cost so he kept it.

I was wandering if this is some type of scam to get your mower.

Many shops charge a "check out" fee which is, in my opinion, appropriate. If you take your mower to a repair shop to get it checked out, the mechanic must spend time performing various tests and as we all know time is money. If you do not come back, pick up your mower and pay the fee the shop will waive the fee if you donate your mower to them and they will turn around and sell the good parts. If a mechanic spent half the day checking out problem mowers and didn't charge for the time it would be a large loss. Look at it this way, you go to your doctor and say: "I've got a pain between my ears". He examines you and finds nothing wrong and tells you to take two aspirin. Now, do you think you will be charged for what the doctor did?