B&S no power

Geochurchi

Threads
Hi All, I have a B&S 10T802 0547 B2 engine, on a push mower, it has no power, fresh gas, new plug, clean air filter, under deck clean, seems like the governor is not working correctly, it has been adjusted per specs , no springs involved just a straight rod from carb to governor shaft.
almost seems that governor is working in reverse, will accelerate manually if I move the throttle.

Geo ??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There still should be a governor spring from end of governor linkage at the throttle vane on the carburetor to the control braket.
1629125783909.png

Geochurchi

Threads
Hi, received the spring, adjusted the governor shaft per specs, with spring installed it starts but way over rev’s.
any thoughts.
Geo ??

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Governor shaft could be set backwards.
Throttle spring too tight keeping throttle pinned WFO.
Put your finger on the throttle linkage. Hold it partially closed. Pull the rope. Manipulate the throttle with your finger.

Geochurchi

Threads
Hi, mower starts fine, can’t find a video on how to adjust the governor for this particular engine, so I did the following.
1. closed throttle and and watched the direction that the governor shaft turned, CCW .
2. loosened clamp screw and made sure governor shaft was all of the way CCW , which it was.
3. Attached new governor spring which held the throttle wide open, bracket adjustment made no difference, seemed spring was to short, stretched spring to relieve some of the tension, worked a bit better but it is still not right.

Richard Milhous

Threads
Any idea how many RPMs "way over revving" is? I used to tune mine down to burn less gas (and oil!) but I read in this forum that splash-oiled engines should idle at 3600 for good lubrication.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any idea how many RPMs "way over revving" is? I used to tune mine down to burn less gas (and oil!) but I read in this forum that splash-oiled engines should idle at 3600 for good lubrication.
Keep all air cooled splash lubed engines at 3200-3600rpms ALL the time. Check your engine and mower manuals for rated max rpms.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, mower starts fine, can’t find a video on how to adjust the governor for this particular engine, so I did the following.
1. closed throttle and and watched the direction that the governor shaft turned, CCW .
2. loosened clamp screw and made sure governor shaft was all of the way CCW , which it was.
3. Attached new governor spring which held the throttle wide open, bracket adjustment made no difference, seemed spring was to short, stretched spring to relieve some of the tension, worked a bit better but it is still not right.
Sounds like the spring is too short. Is this the proper Briggs spring? If it is, you shouldn't have to tweak it unless you hooked it to the wrong spot making it too short.