B&S head gasket failure fix?

rd65

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman riding mower with a B/S Intek 21 HP 540cc engine, mower is 10 years old. Last summer it finally smoked (literally-lol) the head gasket. Replaced it using a cheapy Amazon gasket last August and now it is starting with the smoking again. Is there is fix for this? I will be replacing the gasket with an OEM unit but am wondering if there is more I can do to help keep this from happening? I have seen guys use a center punch along gasket surface to retain gaskets before, is this something that might help in this weak area?
Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check head for warpage. I just did a 310000 head where it had .005 warpage which shaved the head to correct the warpage. Or you can just replace the head as you probably also have worn valve guides.

charleneje

Threads
Check head for warpage. I just did a 310000 head where it had .005 warpage which shaved the head to correct the warpage. Or you can just replace the head as you probably also have worn valve guides.
How did you shave the head? I have tried gluing emery paper to a piece of glass and putting it on my table saw bed to make sure its on a flat surface but the outer edge so to speak is what I am sanding its almost as if it is growing where I am sanding replacing the head is not possible I just don't have the money to buy one social security don't pay for mower repairs unfortunately