B&S Fuel solenoid

Wait 'til I get up to the cottage where the tractor is. Once I've installed it ...and works, I'll send a picture for sure!
 
Re: Three cheers, the damn things running- except....

Well everyone, I finally go00t the #$%& thing running. Drilling out the plunger on the solenoid allowed the fuel to go through and the engine purrs like a kitten.

BUT NOW THE THING WON'T SHUT OFF!:ashamed:

When you shut the key off, the solenoid cuts off the gas flow quick and the engine dies out to prevent backfire, as we all know I guess; however, when I disabled the plunger, the engine wouldn't shut off even when I shut the key off, and throttled down.

I had to find some pliers and pinch the gas-line until I starved the carb bowl of it's fuel.

I may have to pay the $130 for the damn solenoid after all!
 
As I've described before, my solenoid is the single wire variety, that gets an electrical signal from a oil pressure switch beside the oil filter. Some solenoids have two wires. The solenoid was defective so the signal didn't cause it to open when the key was turned on.

All I did was disconnect the wire from the oil pressure switch and then I actually cut off the useless dangling wire (not mine, the one on the solenoid), so that it wouldn't be in the way. Then i drilled out the piston as I've mentioned before down through the top hole, and then through the side ports. Now the gas was free to flow into the carb.
 
Well I wondered that myself, however, I got this tractor from a neighbor and so I'm not sure if it was doing this before I did the solenoid work. My neighbor can't remember either.

If this is in fact a ground/kill switch problem, any suggestions as to how I would go about fixing it?

(note: I will be away from the computer for a week, so if I don't respond back, it's not that I'm ignoring you. Please leave your suggestions, and I'll look forward to reading them in one week from now.

PHil
 
the tractor that just won't die!

Yes folks, after disabling my solenoid switch, cleaning the carb, and making a few turns of screws here and there, I've got my Columbia with a V-Twin Vanguard Briggs, purring like a kitten!

It is so eager to show me how nice it runs...that I can't shut the damn thing off!!!

There must be a problem with a kill switch somewhere, 'cause when I shut off the key, it keeps going, and going, and....

Any ideas from you electrical wizards out there on how to fix/make/coax a way to shut off this motor?
 
Back
Top