B&S engine will not restart (Toro Recycler push mower)

SMWoody

Threads
  • / B&S engine will not restart (Toro Recycler push mower)
Greetings: I've got a Toro pushmower (Recycler) - 4 or 5 years old - B&S 124T02-0203-B1 - and after I run it (starts normally) a while and shut it off it will not start until it cools down some - my research shows it's probably a bad exhaust valve - is there anything else I should check before I start trying to replace the &*%$# exhaust valve? thanks in advance.....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next time it happens check to see if you have spark. If no spark, you have a coil breaking down due to excess heat. I have not heard of a problem like this caused by a bad exhaust valve.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the block has overheated badly recently, then checking the valve clearances would be advisable. But this time of year, you need to drain your tank and carb and let it air dry, then add fresh fuel.

SMWoody

Threads
Next time it happens check to see if you have spark. If no spark, you have a coil breaking down due to excess heat. I have not heard of a problem like this caused by a bad exhaust valve.

I mowed about 15 to 20 minutes this afternoon, then stopped the mower then 15 seconds later tried to start it; it didn't start - checked for spark and there is spark - I think I will give the carb a good cleaning and make sure I have fresh fuel in a clean tank....but if anybody else has some suggestions I'm sure interested in hearing them - thanks much.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW!!!

So checking your valve gaps is not a suggestion??????

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Discuss your research!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have spark, I would do as you said, clean the carb. When doing so I would replace the float needle and seat. The old seat may have swelled, causing the needle to seat too soon, creating a lean restart mixture. If you need a procedure for rebuilding the carb and replacing the seat let me know.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have spark, I would do as you said, clean the carb. When doing so I would replace the float needle and seat. The old seat may have swelled, causing the needle to seat too soon, creating a lean restart mixture. If you need a procedure for rebuilding the carb and replacing the seat let me know.

Why would that do anything? New gas cures most of these problems, the needle/ seat.... No...
If he is running last year's fuel, that is the first thing to change....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe because I've seen this problem 100 times a year and 90% of the time this will solve the problem. If he does not want to go that route it is fine with me. If you have a problem with my suggestion, I can understand by your signature, as none of those fit you, except the second part of the Briggs and Stratton. To the original poster PM me if you need more help.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
whoo hoo!

Probably good that you do not explain why then.... His running issues are far from your, mmmm, suggestions....