B&S 500 E series wont stay running.

JWSET

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray Push mower with a B&S 500 Series 140cc 5.00 engine. It ran great 1st time I used it. I went to use again the other day now wont stay running. I check fuel and changed it Oil level is good used 1 time only. Now wont stay running. I can keep priming it and some what get it to sty running if could keep up how much to push primmer. When dies i prime runs right up then dies. keeps doing this so it will run but wont keep running. Any idea's?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Probably just some dirt or water in the carb, find the engine's actual model numbers/type/code ,
should be stamped somewhere near the sparkplug.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the carburetor, disassemble and clean or have it professionally cleaned. There is a plugged or partially plugged orifice that's preventing gas being drawn into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke.

JWSET

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I have looked all over for model number and havent found it on the engine. I do know it is a Model 90000 500e series 2014 year this is from the manual i got with it but cant find a repair manual to take it apart. Have no idea what the code is I got all the other information.

Is there a video that shows the steps to take off the carburetor for cleaning? or a site to get a manual? I have had no luck finding.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to Bing images and do a search for your Briggs 500 and it will show a bunch of engines, pic one that looks most like your and maybe we can be of more help. If it it an ohv, look on the valve cover for the model/type numbers, if it has the plastic top layers,
look above the spark plug, but under the plastic for the numbers.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a 2014 year mod. and the carb being dirty already is a little strange in my estimation. Maybe the carburetor is loose.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, can you at least post the model number off of the mower itself? If we find out who made it, maybe they will tell us what the engine is.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is a 2014 unit and you have used it one time, I suggest you stop right now and take it in for warranty service. By doing any work on it yourself, you will void the warranty. The only thing that I feel would not be covered in this case would be bad fuel. Just a suggestion.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bad fuel is a dealer's first line of defense. Home center people know that at the rate we use fuel in this country there is no such thing as bad fuel.:laughing:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well if it is truly a 2014 model, then "who" made it?