B&S 286707-1441-01 12.5 HP motor in Craftsmaan II Lawn Tractor

tdhardy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&S 286707-1441-01 12.5 HP motor in Craftsmaan II Lawn Tractor
I agreed to rewire this lawn tractor for a buddy of mine thinking it would be a simple task with me having an electrical/electronics backround. Basically, he dropped it off at the house, handed me a key, said good luck and left. The ignition switch isn't exactly what was on it when it was brand new, but the shop he bought it from said it would work. I've done the discovery steps on the ignition switch and cross referenced it to the schematic of the original. He had temporarily hooked everything up and could start the tractor by turning the switch to run and touching the positive battery cable to the battery positive post. He hadn't wired it correctly - obviously. My question is this. I know where most of the wiring goes in this system, but it will crank and not start. From the passenger side of the motor is a 14 AWG lead that I presume is the stator/alternator lead (currently not tied to ignition switch). Where would this land on the switch. Also, when the key is turned off, I assume the motor should go to ground to kill the motor. The way I have it landed, when I turn the key to off, I blow the inline fuse on the battery lead. I apologize for my ignorance, but any help would be appreciated. On the switch I have, I have leads for "stop switch" and "anti after-run solenoid" that aren't landed anywhere yet. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / B&S 286707-1441-01 12.5 HP motor in Craftsmaan II Lawn Tractor
Check out this thread (Simple wiring for yard-man with kohler cv22s.). The information I posted there may help you. I know that it is a different engine.