B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

Wegdeone

Threads
  • / B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!
Re: B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

Well I hate to say this but if you took the cam out you had to touch the other head at some time if not your lifters would be still in the block and your rods are too. You had to adjust the valves if you pulled the cam out if not then how did you get the rods back in and if not then how did you adjust the valves. Seems to be going in a circle about your problems your having with the engine. Just trying to clear things up a bit and what you a missing on getting your engine running.how about what you set your valves at? Starter fluid as in lighter fluid for grills or something more????? Try some either and see what happens

I didn't remove the cam or adjust valves, I didn't say anything about removing the cam. I have tried starting fluid, no good.

Luffydog

Threads
  • / B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!
Re: B&S 24hp 2cyl 445677-2188-G5 won't start - Craftsmen YT4000 tractor-out of ideas!

Crank/cam timing marks were right when reassembled to me that means they have been removed. Double check your valves and if you did set them what did u set them at?

Wegdeone

Threads

Crank/cam timing marks were right when reassembled to me that means they have been removed. Double check your valves and if you did set them what did u set them at?

It was a crankcase gasket replacement...I did not move the crank or cam, that line was to point out that i did check to be sure the timing marks were still aligned correctly before I reassembled the crank case with new gasket and PTO seal to save folks time from asking.

Luffydog

Threads

Set your valves to spec on both cyclinders then give it a try. Tdc on compression stoke

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

You've got a group of us scratching our heads, it doesn't make sense, did you also check the ignition sw. feed WIRE.. from the battery side of the start solenoid up to the ignition sw. it should have an "in-line" fuse in it, but the wire could be bad, maybe at the fuse holder, or terminal of ign. sw. .. ?? ( I'm pulling at straws here but it seems that's all that's left to do.)

ALSO... have you checked each safety switch in the system, ..??

Tinkerer200

Threads

"ALSO... have you checked each safety switch in the system, ..??"

He said he tried it with both kill wires disconnected at the base of the coils which would eliminate all safety switches from the circuit.

"you set the valve clearance correctly at TDC on that cylinder?"
"Yes tdc judged buy valve movements, confirmed with a wooden rod in the plug socket"

NO, this is not correct. Valve clearance is not set at TDC. And the work he did would not affect the valve clearance of the other cylinder and these engines will start quit easily and run on one cylinder.

"fuse checked on a multitester good, I ever cleaned out the fuse holder with contact cleaner. "
"fuse checked on a multitester good,"

I would suspect carb solenoid but I think he said he tried dribbling fuel down carb which should make it fire a few times. Try jumper between battery cable to the starter solenoid and the small wire on the starter solenoid IF it only has one small wire. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, jump to the one which does NOT go to ground. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, one should be connected to ground. This is a check for turning over on tractor battery not for why it is not firing.

I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like which will tell you proper valve adjustment procedure among other things. Address below.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com (put in proper format)

PS: I guess he said he checked the carb solenoid - something is being over looked as there has to be a reason for both not turning over with key then not starting when jumper.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads

"ALSO... have you checked each safety switch in the system, ..??"

He said he tried it with both kill wires disconnected at the base of the coils which would eliminate all safety switches from the circuit.

"you set the valve clearance correctly at TDC on that cylinder?"
"Yes tdc judged buy valve movements, confirmed with a wooden rod in the plug socket"

NO, this is not correct. Valve clearance is not set at TDC. And the work he did would not affect the valve clearance of the other cylinder and these engines will start quit easily and run on one cylinder.

"fuse checked on a multitester good, I ever cleaned out the fuse holder with contact cleaner. "
"fuse checked on a multitester good,"

I would suspect carb solenoid but I think he said he tried dribbling fuel down carb which should make it fire a few times. Try jumper between battery cable to the starter solenoid and the small wire on the starter solenoid IF it only has one small wire. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, jump to the one which does NOT go to ground. IF it has 2 small wire terminals, one should be connected to ground. This is a check for turning over on tractor battery not for why it is not firing.

I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like which will tell you proper valve adjustment procedure among other things. Address below.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com (put in proper format)

PS: I guess he said he checked the carb solenoid - something is being over looked as there has to be a reason for both not turning over with key then not starting when jumper.

Wedgeone,
I have used Walt's procedure for setting valve clearance and I recommend it.
He knows what he is talking about.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

At this point with a lot of input and head scratching, I would ISOLATE the engine from the mower and see if it will run, disconnect the engine wire harness from the mower and "Hot-Wire" the engine, using jumper cables and a jumper from the battery POS. to the carb. solenoid ( also be sure the carb solenoid is grounded to the eng. or frame and make sure it clicks) Neg. jumper cable to eng. block or mower frame, POS jumper cable to just touch the starter lug enough to start it, of course you'll have to "play" with the throttle .. this way if the eng. runs, you know the problem is on the mower side and you'll know the engine is OK,... then you can take half the fight off the table.

Threads

Following this thread, I certainly appreciate everyone’s tenacity and contributions in trying to resolve it.

It’s interesting and informative.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

NONE of us likes gettin whipped, there is a reason why it won't start with the ign. sw. .. Persistence & Patience .. :thumbsup: