B/S 17.0 OHV flywheel wont turn

Basstracker94

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing some tall grass and it bogged down the mower to the point where it died. I tried to restart it and it would not start. I hauled the mower into the shop to discover the flywheel would not turn. I tried to spin it by hand and it would not move. The mower is a Scott and is about 10-15 years old. I got it from my father in law. It sat outside for a number of years in the elements but i got it up and running a year ago and has been working well. Any ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check oil level on dipstick, showing or not? Add if necessary, if ok remove spark plugs & try rotating top of screen by hand. Let us know what you find. Look at under side of engine pulleys, may have debris jammed between belts & pulleys.

Remove flywheel carefully with puller, replace flywheel key, key has been sheared. Flywheel keys are made of soft metal & are meant to shear under conditions you described, thus preventing internal engine damage.
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...UTF-8#q=flywheel puller for small gas engines change oil & filter after completing job & running engine for 10-15 minutes of warm-up. Post all numbers from engine data plate: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx & code 7 numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkaD3h8J6es watch video

Last edited:

Basstracker94

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. Checked oil level. It was low but still had oil. Maybe around 1 quart and was fairly dirty. No ubstructions under the mower. I pulled the spark plug and flywheel still won't turn. What I did notice was the flywheel did not line up with the flywheel key. I took a pick but do not know how to attach picks. Any ideas? Thoughts?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was mowing some tall grass and it bogged down the mower to the point where it died. I tried to restart it and it would not start. I hauled the mower into the shop to discover the flywheel would not turn. I tried to spin it by hand and it would not move. The mower is a Scott and is about 10-15 years old. I got it from my father in law. It sat outside for a number of years in the elements but i got it up and running a year ago and has been working well. Any ideas?

The underneath is plugged with a big wad of grass that has the blade locked in place.

cryoburned

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. Checked oil level. It was low but still had oil. Maybe around 1 quart and was fairly dirty. No ubstructions under the mower. I pulled the spark plug and flywheel still won't turn. What I did notice was the flywheel did not line up with the flywheel key. I took a pick but do not know how to attach picks. Any ideas? Thoughts?

To upload a picture, you'll click the button shown. If you're on the site with a cell phone, I think you'll have to click the link at the bottom of the page to use the full site.Screenshot_2015-05-07-03-51-22.png

In any case, the flywheel is aligned by a key so the crank and flywheel rotate together. Perhaps the crank had stopped, but the flywheel's momentum allowed it to turn enough to shear the key. It sounds like you'll have to do some disassembly. Perhaps a piston is seized in the bore, preventing the crank from spinning. Perhaps the timing gear broke a tooth, or the timing gear key sheared, and caused the engine to be out of time, and there is interference. Maybe remove the head and inspect the pistons and valves and see if they kissed.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Connecting rod almost always seizes first. Cooling fins/shroud may be plugged causing over heating.

Walt Conner

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A sheared flywheel key should only affect the timing. Go ahead and pull the flywheel and inspect it closely. It needs to be removed anyway.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quick & dirty test is to get under the engine and grab the engine pulley.
You should be alble to move it up & down just far enought to ge an audiable click from the engine.This is normal & called end float.
If you can not move it up & down at all that indicates a seized crankshaft usually in the upper bearing.
If it moves up & down but does not click this usually indicates a siezed piston.
Both of these can lock an engine solid.
The other thing that can lock an engine solid is a broken magnet under the flywheel, so as the key is broken & you have to take it off, start with the flywheel.
If every thing is ok Under there then pull the engine , flip it over & remove the bottom 1/2 of the crankcase which should come off relatively easily as the crank will usually sieze to the upper 1/2 of the case and the piston to the inside of the bore or the con rod to the crankshaft.

Basstracker94

Forum Newbie
Threads
update. I removed the flywheel and cleared out a lot of compacted grass around the pulley and now the engine rotates with my hands spinning the pulley. I do have a question and let me preference by saying I know just enough about lawn tractors to get into trouble. When spinning the engine shaft by hand at the pulley, I can get about 3 rotations of relatively smooth rotations and then it Boggs down pretty good for about 1/2 a turn and the frees up against and repeat. Is that normal? Is that a sign of further trouble? Again, thanks for all your help.