B+S 16 hp v-twin cranks but wont start unless i cover intake completely

wwizzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B+S 16 hp v-twin cranks but wont start unless i cover intake completely
If i cover the intake completely it will start and run but as soon as i start to let air in it will rev up like normal running and then die.

tankdriver

Threads
Sounds like your not getting fuel. Check following things

Gas Cap (should have a bleed value to stop it from making a vaccum.)
Fuel Filter
Fuel pump
Float valve
Main jet

One of the above is not letting fuel through. You can remove the gas line from the carb, put the end in a container, turn the engine over with the starter and see if fuel is comming out the line. If it is you'll need to pull the carb apart and rebuild it. You probably could just clean it, but while you have it apart, and claen, you might as well rebuild it IMHO......

wwizzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have cleaned carb and tested for fuel flow I think my prob is with solenoid I have checked voltage through line for the solenoid and i am getting 12V but when i turn the key on i get no click or response from it

tankdriver

Threads
Solenoid is magnetic, trun it on and see if it will attract a screwdriver. If it does, the plumger is gunked up if it doesn't either the coil is bad, or if it is a 2 wire the ground is bad, since you said above you have 12vts going it to it.

wwizzard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advise it was the plunger one i got it freed up she will run now but next problem is..... no speed control when i push throttle lever up makes no difference..... i just pulled off the cowling and have found what appears to be a rats nest ...... back is hurting now had to take a break will try and clean out rats nest soon i think that is whats not allowing the throttle lever wind controlled thingy not engage.

tankdriver

Threads
gald that worked for you. As for as the mouse goes......

As Roseann, Roseannadana said on Sat night live.......

It just goes to show you Jane..... It's always sumpin.........:laughing: