B&S 10L802-0858-F1 Run Issue (Auto-choke/Govenor?)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is running with black smoke it is set too rich. If you tried to clean the main jet you may have made it too large, causing a rich condition.

Born2Mow

Threads
Black smoke is always a "rich" fuel mixture condition. Which shows on the plug as black soot.

Several issues can cause that. Some as simple as a dirty air filter.

(Sorry, typing the same time as Rivets)

nsnd

Threads
So here's an updated video on how it's running, real rough, and looks like black smoke from the exhaust. I pulled the sparkplug after about 5 minutes of resting, and it looks a little wet and smells like gas. Not sure if there's oil on the plug or not.

When I cleaned the main jet, I did not use a drill bit, only carb cleaner. It was pretty clean as it was.

nsnd

Threads
Black smoke is always a "rich" fuel mixture condition. Which shows on the plug as black soot.

Several issues can cause that. Some as simple as a dirty air filter.

(Sorry, typing the same time as Rivets)
I forgot to address the air filter in my reply. It's a brand new air filter. When I pull off the air filter completely, the engine revs up a little but continues in the same fashion with the black smoke. I only ran it this way for about 60 seconds.

nsnd

Threads
At this point, is it worth just swapping out the entire carburetor?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To be honest with you, i can’t remember if I’ve ever replaced the entire carb on one of those engines. If you only used carb cleaner I don’t see how you could have enlarged the jet. Two things I would do before you go that route. First, remove the carb from the tank and double check to make sure you have install the carb diaphragm and gasket correctly, plus did you also install the return spring. I know you have checked this before, but humor me. Second, read this service bulletin about how to install and tighten the carb to the tank, before installing it back on the tank. These steps do make a difference. Test run the unit to see if there is a difference. Also, reread the manual section on pulsa prime carbs, but DO NOT remove the primer or pickup tube. Let us know what happens.

Richard320

Threads
If you had the carb off and started disassembly, could you have messed up the float somehow?

Threads
I would get new carb.
Check out the knockoff ones on ebay. I have used a few of them and they seem to work fine and are cheaper then oem.

nsnd

Threads
To be honest with you, i can’t remember if I’ve ever replaced the entire carb on one of those engines. If you only used carb cleaner I don’t see how you could have enlarged the jet. Two things I would do before you go that route. First, remove the carb from the tank and double check to make sure you have install the carb diaphragm and gasket correctly, plus did you also install the return spring. I know you have checked this before, but humor me. Second, read this service bulletin about how to install and tighten the carb to the tank, before installing it back on the tank. These steps do make a difference. Test run the unit to see if there is a difference. Also, reread the manual section on pulsa prime carbs, but DO NOT remove the primer or pickup tube. Let us know what happens.
I wasn't able to find the service bulletin to install and tighten the carb to the tank, but was able to complete the other items you recommended. Previously, I had used "Slipper's Trick" from the how-to video, but for this purpose, I removed the second paper gasket that would have touched the tank.

I paid particular attention to the position of the throttle during the tightening of the screws from the carb to the tank; this wasn't something I did before.

Unfortunately, it still runs pretty rough. I did notice that the RPM's were much lower today than they were yesterday (3,250 vs 2,850). Other than removing the second paper gasket, I installed a different fuel pump spring**. This may have caused the lower RPM's, but I'm not sure.

Reassemble.jpg

**The different fuel pump spring was used because I accidently dropped a spring and it got stuck with the other one. I couldn't tell them apart, so I may have installed an older spring.