B&S 10.5hp....repower with 17HP?

bartles

Threads
Throwing this out here for an opinion(s)....will a 17 HP B&S run reasonably well with a 10.5HP intake/carb system? Re-jetting the carb required? The small engine has a ventilated block. The 17hp engine has the same footprint and general fit up requirements. I was thinking of using the 10.5 HP flywheel and alternator to keep the electrical hookup simple.

If I'm on the same street with the ballpark y'all let me know.

Regards,

bartles

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some more information required
1) why swap the carbs ( Small carb should be OK )
2) why swap the flywheels ?

bartles

Threads
Some more information required
1) why swap the carbs ( Small carb should be OK )
2) why swap the flywheels ?
Re flywheel swap: to have the wiring harness compatible with the mower harness. The 17 has a different alternator arrangement than the 10.5.

2. Re carb swap: The 17's carb has been sitting up for a long time ..carb bowl is very corroded.

Thanks for your input,

bartles

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you swapped the stator & flywheel so it would be plug & play
And the carb makes sense as a genuine float bowl is near the price of a new carb
The main jet provides a fixed RATIO of fuel to the volume of air that can pass through it
You should not need to increase the jet sizes as that will make it run rich
As mower engines run fairly slow the 10Hp carb should be able to cope
Simple tests is to start the engine , let it warm up for a few minutes then work the throttle by hand
IF the engine starts to miss then the carb is in fact too small
You may need to move the throttle stop on the carb out a bit so at idle the throttle is a bit wider open
A carb is a cab is a carb is a carb
People put bigger carbs on drag engines so they can get more fuel into the cylinders and smaller ones on trials bikes so the throttle becomes more responsive and peak torque moves down the rev range

bartles

Threads
Thanks for your input n advice! I'm a retired diesel guy by profession. Air fuel ratio is a big deal . Industry struggled with black smoke complaints until electronic fuel injection systems and electronic fuel injection timing control became available. Hard to keep those days out of my head!!

Thanks again,

bartles