AYP Western Auto Wizard - Deck Problems

southfreedon

Threads
Nearly finished with my new toy: 1993 Western Auto Wizard. Replaced spindles & idlers on the deck but every time I engage the blade it kills the motor. Any ideas?

KrashnKraka

Threads

Mikel1

Threads
Has carb been cleaned?

southfreedon

Threads
KK - You're a life saver!!!

As far as performance - Nothing seems to be wrong with the engine...A lot of power...A lot of speed...But, when I engage the blades, it comes to a complete stop! Also, just idling, the belt smells smoky...Almost like the belt is too small but it seems to fit fine...I'm at a loss but I like the machine too much to give up!!!photo-23.JPG

KrashnKraka

Threads
KK - You're a life saver!!!
As far as performance - Nothing seems to be wrong with the engine...A lot of power...A lot of speed...But, when I engage the blades, it comes to a complete stop! Also, just idling, the belt smells smoky...Almost like the belt is too small but it seems to fit fine...
[...]

...ummm,, "rule of thumb" for any VeeBelt...?... if in it's greatest dimension of unsupported length
the belt depressess 1/2" using the palm of the hand and as much force as your handshake, that's "operational tight".
Of course, Cassis(M.Ali) and Mr. Tyson are exceptions to that rule ;-}

It's more likely you are smelling "new belt" settling into the drive pulleys, I take it
the machine walks fine? Transaxle is another thing aside to your chief trouble, lets
not go there if machine walks and belt isn't smokin' the place up ;)

-see attached pix - http://s2.postimg.org/50yn5y5bd/Pulley_Shroud.jpg

No way of knowing if that is your exact setup, but have a look for those
'brackets' I highlight and make sure _anything_ ,, anything that touches the deck
belt is free and clear and good to go. Start there.
Lucks to yer...

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nearly finished with my new toy: 1993 Western Auto Wizard. Replaced spindles & idlers on the deck but every time I engage the blade it kills the motor. Any ideas?

My idea is to separate the safety shut down system from all other possible causes for the engine to shut down when the blades are engaged.

To do this the magneto grounding wire ( kill wire ) on the side of the engine is temporarily disconnected. If it now runs when blades are engaged the problem is electrical.

To kill the engine turn the key switch to off and touch the disconnected wire to ground.

KrashnKraka

Threads
My idea is to separate the safety shut down system from all other possible causes for the engine to shut down when the blades are engaged.

To do this the magneto grounding wire ( kill wire ) on the side of the engine is temporarily disconnected. If it now runs when blades are engaged the problem is electrical.

To kill the engine turn the key switch to off and touch the disconnected wire to ground.

mmmm.. you may well be correct, it is very possible I have misread the OP.

southfreedon

Threads
Kinda of leery of messing with any of the electrical system - It was toast when I got the machine (mice had used the area under the battery as a hotel for a couple of years) & it cost me about 12 hours and $300 to replace everything...I'm hoping that I'm just an idiot who has installed the belt incorrectly...I'll attach a picture with hopes of getting some input...photo-23.JPG

Note: The diagram on the deck shows that the belt goes around the fork on the front. However, the more I think about it, the more I think the belt may need to go through the fork. Thoughts?

Donnie B

KrashnKraka

Threads
[...]
who has installed the belt incorrectly...I'll attach a picture with hopes of getting some input...[pix removed]

Note: The diagram on the deck shows that the belt goes around the fork on the front. However, the more I think about it, the more I think the belt may need to go through the fork. Thoughts?

Donnie B

How you have it looks fine to me, Donnie... those diagrams are not always specific, more
so the effforts that attempt to be "photorealistic".
When you engage the blades..??.. is belt or spindle/s even giving a bump...trying to move?

And just to clear the page for us all?
When you write "kills the motor" are you telling us the engine shuts down
as it would if you turned the key off...or is the engine choking down, bogs and
stalls/stops?
There is a very signigicant difference as I am quite sure you know, but best to
clarify this point...thanks ;-)

southfreedon

Threads
It bogs. Sorry, should have been more specific...