Attaching Drive Belt on Snapper Pro S200XT

rajthepilot

Threads
Hello,

The drive belt came off of my Snapper Pro S200XT. I'll be ordering a new belt today, but I still wanted to put the old one on, just so I understand the process. (When adding the new one, I know I'll have to remove the mower belt and clutch plate as well).

Using step 4 of the attached picture from the manual, I loosened the nut on the spring anchor eyebolt. I then removed the nut and the spring. The old belt took a lot of effort in getting back on, even though idler pulley was free to move around.

Is that supposed to happen or it should get on the idler pulley easily when the spring is not attached?

I finally used a flathead screw driver to help get the belt on, but now I cannot move the idler pulley forward enough to be able to put the spring anchor eyebolt back on. I'm attaching few pictures of what it looks like now. Is there any way in the world that the belt could have shrunk in size? Just wondering. I'm assuming it would stretch out over its life.

And also want to confirm that the clean side of belt should be on the outside and these grooves side should be on the inside on the transaxle and crankshaft pulley. (And on the idler pulley, the grooves should be outside and clean belt should be inside?)

Thank You

Attachments

• Hydraulic Pump Drive Belt Replacement.png
    Hydraulic Pump Drive Belt Replacement.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230616_064904.jpg
    20230616_064904.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230616_064921.jpg
    20230616_064921.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230616_070355.jpg
    20230616_070355.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230616_070416.jpg
    20230616_070416.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230616_070452.jpg
    20230616_070452.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230616_070455.jpg
    20230616_070455.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 21

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So much easier to unhook the other end of the spring. Install the spring in the eye bolt and using a spring hook tool reinstall the spring's other end around the cap screw. But that does require the tool. Of course the spring total length install must under 6-1/2 inches. Actually it is set at 6-3/8"

But I pretty sure you have the drive belt installed wrong. Double check your work. The idler pulley should pulling on the belt side going to the LH hydro from the engine and it appears you have it on the RH hydro side.

rajthepilot

Threads
You are right. I've attached it wrong. I looked the diagram in the operator's manual and it showed the pulley coming from the right hand hydro and then around the idler pulley. The diagram in the manual has Idler Arm on the left side of the mower (The diagram is showing the back on top). But my idler arm is on the right side of the mower

I visualized it incorrectly. The diagram should be viewed from the perspective of how things would look if I was under the mower from rear going in head first. It would've been nice if they had labeled the left transaxle and right transaxle. Now I'll need some help in getting the belt off.

Thank you for your help :) and very amazing that you were able to visualize the mistake from the picture. Thanks again

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not alone
I often get a customer coming back claiming that the belt I sold them is too long because they had the tensioner on the wrong run
Rule of thumb is tensioning pulley always goes on the slackest belt run which will be the one going to the engine pulley
On ZTR's the left drive needs a bigger contact patch on the belt than the right because the tension on the belt is lower than the right side so under load it slips on the left .
This is also why the left hydros usually fail before the right .

rajthepilot

Threads
Learned so much here. Thank you to you both for all this information.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You are not alone
I often get a customer coming back claiming that the belt I sold them is too long because they had the tensioner on the wrong run
Rule of thumb is tensioning pulley always goes on the slackest belt run which will be the one going to the engine pulley
On ZTR's the left drive needs a bigger contact patch on the belt than the right because the tension on the belt is lower than the right side so under load it slips on the left .
There are exceptions. I just did a Big Dog (Hustler) mower where this just the reverse as the system is a reversed setup. Otherwords the tensioner is on the RH hydro side. Actually the LH hydro is failing on this unit and it because it is under tension. The engine pulls on the LH hydro first.

So you can not always assumed the idler tension is being applied to the LH hydro. It all depends on the setup.
1687001643998.png

rajthepilot

Threads
You are not alone
Can you please explain this second line again "the slackest belt run is the one going to the engine pulley". (meaning as it turns, it is moving towards the engine pulley? - because I think mine is opposite) On my Snapper Pro S200XT - 5901280, when starting in the back, the belt from the crankshaft pulley goes to the idler pulley, then left transaxle pulley, then right transaxle pulley, then back to the crankshaft. The belt also spins clockwise and when looking down from above.

So on my mower, as it spins from the crankshaft, it first goes to the idler pulley, then left transaxle and the right transaxle and then back the crankshaft

rajthepilot

Threads
There are exceptions. I just did a Big Dog (Hustler) mower where this just the reverse as the system is a reversed setup. Otherwords the tensioner is on the RH hydro side. Actually the LH hydro is failing on this unit and it because it is under tension. The engine pulls on the LH hydro first.

So you can not always assumed the idler tension is being applied to the LH hydro. It all depends on the setup.
View attachment 65198
On my mower, the belt runs clockwise when looking from above. It goes from crankshaft to idler pulley, then left transaxle and then right transxaxle and then back to crankshaft.

So is this the norm, or the other way around is the norm? You mentioned "tensioner is on RH hydro side" - do you mean the idler pulley is between crankshaft and right hand transaxle?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Norm ?
There is no norm
IT all depends upon how the engine is mounted and its position in regards to the axels
And that is determined by the balance point
The engines commonly used in ZTR's spin clockwise from the top which is counter clockwise from the bottom
A flexible drive like a chain or belt can only PULL
So the pulley on the PULL run will get more tension than the pulley on the push side of the engine pulley
The pulley on the push side will have the tensioner on it and be most likely to have the belt slip on the pulley
The story is the same for every belt drive deck , hydro , gearbox or vari drive.
So on most of the mowers I service the engine pulley is behind the drive pulleys so the left is on the slack side
If the engine pulley is in front of the drive pulleys then the right is the slack side

rajthepilot

Threads
Thank you. That was awesome information. I love the community here, I'm learning so much.