At the mercy of my lawnmower dealer.

The problem with over tightening bolts with an impact, Loctite or not, is that the threads can get galled,(tight just before stripping) and any attempt at loosening will strip threads.

As for the dealer, trash him on the internet. Look him up through Google, and websites will be there to allow you to review(Yelp comes to mind). Then, write old fashioned letters to Gravely and the local BBB. Then do the 26 miles to the other dealer and hope he's not a crook as well.
 
The problem with over tightening bolts with an impact, Loctite or not, is that the threads can get galled,(tight just before stripping) and any attempt at loosening will strip threads.

As for the dealer, trash him on the internet. Look him up through Google, and websites will be there to allow you to review(Yelp comes to mind). Then, write old fashioned letters to Gravely and the local BBB. Then do the 26 miles to the other dealer and hope he's not a crook as well.

I would have never tighten the bolts with an impact, I would only use it to loosen them. My fear is that the dealer over tighten them.

Do you think if I get them off okay, I should replace them especially if I heat is needed to get them off?

The lady at Locktite told me that heat from a torch would help them to free up if permanent locktite was used.
 
Maybe , just plan on replacing the bolts from the git go . It would make for a fairly inexpensive excuse to visit the OTHER dealer . :thumbsup:
 
I would have never tighten the bolts with an impact, I would only use it to loosen them. My fear is that the dealer over tighten them.

Do you think if I get them off okay, I should replace them especially if I heat is needed to get them off?

The lady at Locktite told me that heat from a torch would help them to free up if permanent locktite was used.

I don't think you did it, I'm thinking the dealer did it on purpose. But yes, replace them. Not so much because of heat, although if you use a torch, it might temper them. Replace them because they are most assuredly galled. You'll be able to tell if when they come out difficultly thru out the entire length of the thread, without any evidence of Loctite, they're galled. Before you try heat, try leverage. Try a socket(preferably a 6 point), breaker bar and a pipe. And hope that the blade holder isn't damaged.
 
as long as he did not cross thread the bolts in, you will be fine. I work for a heavy duty truck shop and quite honestly, we tighten bolts with 15/16" heads with impact guns all the time. If he put Loctite, on, then yes, heating the spindle shafts up a little bit will help loosen it. Just don't go nuts with the torch and get the shaft hot enough to damage the seal in your spindles or fry the grease. But yes, an impact gun should get them out no problem, especially if your mechanic friend has one of the newer guns. If he did put Loctite on them, just be sure to clean the old Loctite off of them before putting the blades back on. But I would definitely be taking my stuff to the other dealer. I know this other guy offered free use of his trailers, but what good is it to you if he gives you a hard time, peforms unapproved and unnecessary work, and you have to wait to pick up your mower because he doesn't have a trailer available. And if he did cross thread the bolts in, I would be taking pictures of the damage and going down there to question him about it.
 
Sorry for all the Bad Luck, but I don't think you have to worry about the heads of the bolts breaking off, I sure your friend has a good 6 point socket, and it will only take the amount of Torque that the bolts are at, may be less, those bolts are high grade bolts, most likely grade 8, once you get it apart be sure and let us know if you fine Loctite on the threads, it might be that his impact has more torque than yours, if I were you I would never darken is doors, and would tell the world how you were treated
 
hey satman858 sorry i didnt pass english i didnt figure i needed it anyway being a mechanic but any who i never use punctuation ........ lol


I sure hope this forum isn't a English test because being a dumb mechanic I will surely fail. Now as far as a 15/16 bolt go's take a long breaker bar with a good 6 point socket and will bet you aren't going to break a bolt that big by hand or a impact gun. A 15/16 bolt is one big bolt. Back in my younger years that was the size of the truck rear spring U bolts and I tighten them with a 36 In 3/4 drive socket wrench and couldn't break one if I tried.
 
I sure hope this forum isn't a English test because being a dumb mechanic I will surely fail. Now as far as a 15/16 bolt go's take a long breaker bar with a good 6 point socket and will bet you aren't going to break a bolt that big by hand or a impact gun. A 15/16 bolt is one big bolt. Back in my younger years that was the size of the truck rear spring U bolts and I tighten them with a 36 In 3/4 drive socket wrench and couldn't break one if I tried.

I watched a 1 1/2 wrench break once my old boss couldn't get it off so he spot welded the wrench to the bolt took a 5 foot pipe to the end of it three of is held it and pushed while he sledge hammered it watch the wrench snap after the fourth hit. How ever it worked. Un related but reading this reminded me of it. It was on this weird factory machine that he wanted some part off of.
 
Back
Top