Ariens mower

Arl King

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, first time on the site and though I have a pressing issue I need assistance with, I kinda found myself setting back and reading a lot of posts - date didn't matter - as my interests are right on track with the vast majority. I do think I am going to receive a lot of excellent and useful info from you all. Here's my problem: I have an Ariens self-propelled lawnmower that is approximately 1 year off the lot. It is a fine machine but yesterday it started and then immediately shut off. I checked everything possible externally and nothing seems amiss. I checked the fuel and after replacing the cap, I cranked it over and it fired right away, ran for appx 2 seconds and died. The only way I could then start it was by removing the gas cap and replacing it, the end result always being to start and run for two seconds then die. Any ideas team? I greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions as I am not all that smooth with the finer points of machinery. Thank you

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try cleaning the carburetor.

Arl King

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. Another question: Can I use a brush to effectively clean the jet holes (or whatever the formal name for them is). Or is there a preferred and specific tool? I have never done this before but it seems quite benign.

Arl King

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try cleaning the carburetor.
Oops, I may have incorrectly replied to your post, my apologies - still figuring out "how to.". My reply went to a new post but my question is will a brush be effective in cleaning out the jet holes in the base of the carburetor? Or is there a specific and preferred tool that I should secure for the task?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From your description I’m guessing that you have a lean running condition and as stated cleaning the carb will be your first step in resolving the problem. Please provide us with the model and serial numbers off the engine. With those I will be able to see which carb you have and then give you a better idea on how to proceed with the carb cleaning. Each carb is a little different.

Arl King

Forum Newbie
Threads
From your description I’m guessing that you have a lean running condition and as stated cleaning the carb will be your first step in resolving the problem. Please provide us with the model and serial numbers off the engine. With those I will be able to see which carb you have and then give you a better idea on how to proceed with the carb cleaning. Each carb is a little different.
Thank you much for taking the time. As alluded to, I am green in regards to working on engines and I would rather not cause any un-needed damage if I can help it. As a result, I am very keen to hear what you have to say. I have Ariens Razor, a self propelled 21" swath powered by a 175cc OHC Subaru engine with an auto choke feature. The model number, if needed, is 9 11188

Arl King

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you much for taking the time. As alluded to, I am green in regards to working on engines and I would rather not cause any un-needed damage if I can help it. As a result, I am very keen to hear what you have to say. I have Ariens Razor, a self propelled 21" swath powered by a 175cc OHC Subaru engine with an auto choke feature. The model number, if needed, is 9 11188
The serial number is 042170. Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is the service manual for your engine. My suggestion would be to remove the carb and clean and rebuild it. There are some good u-tube videos how to do it. The two methods I use are either soaking it in a commercial carb cleaner or going to a local service shop and have them clean it in their ultrasound cleaner, if they have one. After it has been cleaned, I would replace the float and float needle valve, part numbers are in the manual. Subaru carbs can get tricky, so take your time. If you go to a repair shop, I suggest you purchase your parts from them to show your appreciation. If you have more questions post back. http://www.subarupower.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/EA175_en_ES7528.compressed.pdf

Arl King

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did as you advised, was left with no excuses parts when I finished, gave the cord a pull, just completed mowing!!! Thank you ever so much!!!