Ariens EZR 1742 Z-turn Electrical Issues

MoveAround44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I am looking for some insight on my recently acquired Ariens EZR 1742 zero turn mower with a Briggs & Stratton OHV 17hp engine. I bought it very cheap knowing it had "electrical issues" and here is where I am at with it so far. The solenoid & starter switch do not work, so to test the engine I've been jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver. I replaced the coil and was able to get the machine to spark by disconnecting the gray & black wires from the starter, and it now runs pretty good. According to the wiring diagram, it appears that the gray goes to the carb solenoid and the black to the magento kill. The engine runs when this connector is disconnected, but if I plug it back in the engine shuts off right away. If I engage the PTO while running nothing happens. The machine has been outdoors for a while and there is a good amount of corrosion in various places, so I am sort of expecting to replace a switch or relay somewhere down the line. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this machine or engine, and is aware of any possible kill switch quirks I might not be expecting. Moving forward I will test the solenoid and most likely replace the starter switch. In the meantime, any thoughts or insight to this machine would be greatly appreciated!

Its Me

Threads
Start with all the ground connections from the batter to the frame, solenoid ground, check safety switch seal and handles to make sure current if flowing through them, if that does not turn the engine, replace the solenoid, I have taken them apart sanded the contacts and resealed them with good success, sounds like a burnt fuse on the clutch check them with test light and see if once the key is in the start position that it excites the solenoid, and then check if you have current to the fuel shut off valve than can be bypassed by pulling it out and snipping off the needle that closes off the fuel, try those thinks and we can go from there, Joe

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
before we go much further we need to know the model number of your mower so we can get the same circuit diagram.
IT should be a 6 digit number & start with a 9 .
Then you need to make up some jumpers about 4" long with a male spade terminal at both ends.
The more the merrier.
You will use these to jump wires at plugs so the system can be tested by bypassing switches & relays one a a time till the culprit is found .
What people have a hard time getting their heads around is an electrical circuit goes from one side of the battery ( or alternator ) to the other side and you can control a circuit by switching the power side or the ground side or both sides.
Once you have that in your head, the rest becomes easy.
First thing to do is to check that the mower is wired properly.
Usually the battery will have only one cable on each side.
The - goes directly to the frame .
The + one goes to the solenoid and from there a thin wire goes via a fuse to the key switch.
People often put this wire on the starter motor side so the mower has no power to crank.
The circuit diagram I have here in front of me shows this incorrect connection.
However if jump started, the mower will run off the alternator wire

Haggs21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old thread but im having same issue. Will start by jumping lrg wire from starter to B+ on solenoid
Fuse near solenoid keep popping immediately
Most sensors where already bypassed when I acquired it.
Carb shut off is now bypassed.
Cleaned carb seemed surprisingly clean
Replaced ignition
Runs for awhile then shut off
Blows fuse immediately. Cant locate 2nd fuse. Where is it?
Did continuty checks on neutral sensors even know they are jumped right now.
New BR6HS PLug at .030

Model#915013
Serial # 007561

No engine shroud sticker
Cant locate Engine Info to find Briggs manual

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a twin cylinder engine look on the valve cover for engine numbers. Sounds to me you may have a frayed wire in the kill circuit. Here’s a service manual for your unit which includes a wiring diagram. https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/01560700.pdf

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Single cylinder 17 hp Briggs Intek. Engine numbers is on the rocker cover (might be on the bottom side if the cover ever been off) or none existent if the cover has been replaced.

Haggs21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old thread but im having same issue. Will start by jumping lrg wire from starter to B+ on solenoid
Fuse near solenoid keep popping immediately
Most sensors where already bypassed when I acquired it.
Carb shut off is now bypassed.
Cleaned carb seemed surprisingly clean
Replaced ignition
Runs for awhile then shut off and pops fuse immediately. Cant locate
If you have a twin cylinder engine look on the valve cover for engine numbers. Sounds to me you may have a frayed wire in the kill circuit. Here’s a service manual for your unit which includes a wiring diagram. https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/01560700.pdf
Its a single cyl... Thanks for the link!!!

Haggs21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any idea where the PTO fuse SHOULD be located? I cant locate one. Every circuit I try to trace is hacked so who knows if it even exist
I found the one going from Solenoid to Key. Thats the one that is currently blowing as soo as you put one in