Ariens 34 Zero Turn Blade Engage / Belt issue?

jab111111

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll just buy the Ariens belt and put it on myself. Taking it back to the original service shop is not an option at this point. It took 4+ months to have my mower serviced and now that's two bad experiences at two places I've been to in my area.

I guess I'll find out soon enough if it's the belt but I assume it is as well, even I can tell that thing is not installed / fitting properly... Thanks for the advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Alright so I just tried this. At the very back of the mower under the engine a pulley is constantly spinning whether the blade is engaged or not. The belt isn't moving when the blade is not engaged, but the pulley is spinning. When I engage the blade, the belt does not begin to move, there is no engine slow down / click (this normally would happen when the blade is working properly) and none of the pulley's on the deck spin at all.

I can take a video / pics if that will help, thanks for all the advice so far.

Based on what I said above does it sound like the clutch is bad and the belt is fine (even though the belt is not snug like it use to be)?

there should be 2 pulleys.
One right up high ( hard to see ) that drives the pump that drives the wheels
Down lower should be a second pulley that drives the belt that drives the blades.
The belt on this pulley should always be a tight fit ( snug if you like ) because it never slips as the electric clutch controls the blades start & stop.

Now just to make sure we are singing from the same song sheet.
We are talking aboyt a ZTR Ride on Mower and not a Self propelled push wide area mower arn't we,

jab111111

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes this is a mower that I sit and not stand behind.

There are actually three pulleys directly under the engine that always spin and the belt always spins too, not the belt in question (these pulleys are a bit hard to see as you say).

There is one pulley at the bottom under the engine that holds the belt for the blade. This belt is loose, I am going to just buy the proper Ariens belt and put it on (the owners manual tells you how to replace it). Looks like Home Depot has it in stock.

Thanks.