Export thread

Are you a TRUE mower and small engine addict?

JDgreen

JDgreen

Give yourself credit for being an addict, if you would spend an hour tearing down something like this 1978 vintage Honda F-215 tiller engine just to salvage the handful of metric bolts you might use in the future.

Give yourself double credit if you would think about rebuilding the engine and using it for something else.

Give yourself triple credit if you would think about rebuilding the entire tiller, and using it for your garden.

Give yourself quadruple credit if you would rebuild the entire tiller, and you DIDN'T have any use for it.

Attachments

L

lakeviewpe

Well I don't think it is here yet, but maybe soon they will have a group meeting in your area.

J

jamesslcx

I'm getting there, joining LMF just made it worse!:biggrin:

jmurray01

jmurray01

I'd rebuild the whole tiller even if I didn't need it, just so I could have it sitting in the shed in good working condition! :biggrin:

Quadruple credit given! :laughing:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'd rebuild the whole tiller even if I didn't need it, just so I could have it sitting in the shed in good working condition! :biggrin:

Quadruple credit given! :laughing:

YOU NEED HELP, BIG TIME !!!!!

B

bigmoose

I dont think he needs help,, but he seems to have some nice tools,,(craftsman), e.t.c........:wink:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I dont think he needs help,, but he seems to have some nice tools,,(craftsman), e.t.c........:wink:

Thanks...didn't even see the tools in the pic....the ones shown ain't even 1 percent of the mechanics tools I own....:laughing:

And BTW, I stand corrected, the tiller was an F-210, not an F-215.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I admit I'm a true addict -- :laughing: -- but mower addiction is different from other forms of addiction. As I collect more and more mowers, I get more selective about what I'll buy.

For example, a two-stroke Lawn-Boy from the 1980s or the 1990s would only tempt me if it were both cheap and not far from my house. Before I had so many mowers, I would have gotten excited over any two-stroke mower for sale. :eek:

I've been a small engine hobbyist for a long time but my mower addiction has come only in the last three years or so.

C

crazyoldtractor

I just like the sound of an engine

G

GoToGuy

Thanks guys, this group therapy stuff is great!

G

Giles

I developed a passion for engines when I was 12 years old.:smile: I started out buying lawnmowers from a local junk yard and was immediately surprised at what people threw away. I would fix some, salvage others, and made a good profit for a 12 year old.:thumbsup: I am now 66 and still run or work on them nearly every day.:biggrin:
I will always remember nailing the engines down on the basement steps and getting them to run. I was really doing good until I couldn't convince any of my nephews or nieces to hold the plug wire for a test--the second time--
I am truly ashamed of that now.:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed: But they always let me know and they still remember it today know:thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I developed a passion for engines when I was 12 years old.:smile: I started out buying lawnmowers from a local junk yard and was immediately surprised at what people threw away. I would fix some, salvage others, and made a good profit for a 12 year old.:thumbsup: I am now 66 and still run or work on them nearly every day.:biggrin:
I will always remember nailing the engines down on the basement steps and getting them to run. I was really doing good until I couldn't convince any of my nephews or nieces to hold the plug wire for a test--the second time--
I am truly ashamed of that now.:ashamed::ashamed::ashamed: But they always let me know and they still remember it today know:thumbsup:

Thinking back to your early years working on small engines, which brands or other characteristics do you remember as your favorites at that time?

I remember the two-stroke Jacobsen mowers (among others) and I'm always looking for one of those on CraigsList now.

Sammy the Red

Sammy the Red

Did I just read this over at Yesterdays Tractors ?

JDgreen

JDgreen

Thanks guys, this group therapy stuff is great!

Well, well, after 2500 plus posts here I finally helped somebody cope with their addiction.....:laughing:

G

Giles

Did I just read this over at Yesterdays Tractors ?

Yes---posted it here first and added a little for YT

G

Giles

Thinking back to your early years working on small engines, which brands or other characteristics do you remember as your favorites at that time?

I remember the two-stroke Jacobsen mowers (among others) and I'm always looking for one of those on CraigsList now.

I don't know if it would be considered a favorite, but the ones that stood out in my memory was the Mcculloch mc10.
I guess it was because at about 14 years old, I built a "crude" Gocart, and installed a MC10.
It had a front suspension:laughing: that was made from a single leaf spring from an automobile, and was steered by my feet:eek:
Still scares me today when I remember some of the things I did:eek:
Oh yeah, I remember the Jacobsen--but the first one I had, I thought it was Jacolsen, because of the messed up decal, or paint

B

benski

There's an old joke that goes something like, "What's the difference between an alcoholic and a drunk?"
Ans: The drunk doesn't have to attend meetings.
If there was a local meeting place for unrecovered small engine people, I'd probably be asked to attend.

I remember as a kid about 10 years old doing battle with a Sears reel self-propelled walk behind that had a wind-up spring starter on the side where the starter rope would normally go. :thumbdown:You would set the catch, wind up the crank some 17 times, and then release the catch, and hope it would start.:frown: The whole process took about 30 seconds to do, and it was tedious. I guess they built them that way so that just about anyone could start the mower, but jeez!:eek: