Are people getting stupider?

RP54

Threads
I heard the sockets work best with DeWalt drivers.
And The torque wrench needs to be update often.:tongue:

Were you looking at a Tekton?

I am looking at the Tekton 1/2" drive. The 3/8" drive with the Linux question is an EPAuto... https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-8-Inc...d_r=7HDGSKDWVDD35AEMA2QR&psc=1&qid=1572539903

I figure a 3/8" drive would work for most of what I need to torque. I want a 1/2" as well... I can probably also use it if I decide to take up watch repair. A 1/2" torque wrench could double as a handy precision hammer (it would not surprise me to see a question about whether it can be used to drive nails in the wall to hang pictures).

Do you have a recommendation one way or another about Tekton? Or any other brand you like better, or that you think I should avoid like a mother-in-law?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
To me Tekton is a good brand of you're like me, not needing a torque wrench everyday. I actually got the harbor freight torque wrench 19.99, because I didn't want to pay the money for something I wont use everyday.
Its been good. Haven't twisted off a bolt yet.
So is say you 'll be okay with Tekton.
If I was using a toruqe wrench everyday, I would go with a better more expensive brand.

Wow! You are stupid, don't you know a torque wrench doubles as a sledge hammer?! It's good for knocking out rusty bolts too.:laughing::laughing:

RP54

Threads
To me Tekton is a good brand of you're like me, not needing a torque wrench everyday. I actually got the harbor freight torque wrench 19.99, because I didn't want to pay the money for something I wont use everyday.
Its been good. Haven't twisted off a bolt yet.
So is say you 'll be okay with Tekton.
If I was using a toruqe wrench everyday, I would go with a better more expensive brand.

Wow! You are stupid, don't you know a torque wrench doubles as a sledge hammer?! It's good for knocking out rusty bolts too.:laughing::laughing:

Thanks Scrubcadet! I'm always open to suggestions for tools as well as techniques. 50+ years ago I thought I knew everything (in my defense I was a teenager then). Now I know nothing, and with senior moments I'm not even sure I'd remember long enough for it to be useful.

I remember many years ago a friend suggested I loosen & tighten the torque a few times before using the tool - especially after it hadn't been used in a while. He said it exercised the spring which made a more accurate reading. Maybe it was a variation of a Snipe Hunt but I did it; if nothing else it helped me remember to check the torque setting before realizing a 1/4" bolt probably won't take 90 ft-lbs.

I was toying with a 3/8" drive since I can't imagine anything on a GT or mower that would need a 1/2". I still want the larger one for the cars... hopefully I won't need to check the tow bar on my truck but who knows - maybe one day I'll finish the Honey-Do list and have 30 secs to myself and I'll nothing else I could possibly want to do with my life.