Are mowers hard to come by right now

Moondoggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just curious if there are problems with distribution of mowers. I'm looking to buy a 30 inch gas powered riding mower. I found a Craftsman that's exactly what I want and when I ask Craftsman where to buy one I get referred only to Lowes. I go to Lowes and the store has zero, you can't order one online and the store can't order one for me. I found the same mower as a Cub Cadet and Cub Cadet says that I can get one at Home Depot. Same story as the Craftsman at Lowes. Can't get one. Went to a Cub Cadet authorized dealer and asked if they could get one and the answer was no, not available. I can buy one on line at a internet store but it's a 2021 not a 2022 model but their price is high and you have to pay shipping and it's delivered by a semi driver in your driveway and you have to assemble the mower. I'm uncomfortable paying over $2,000 for a mower that may be Dead on Arrival and would prefer to deal with a dealer or a big box store but all I'm hearing is too bad, so sad. Anyone know what is going on.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome aboard-

Yes in many areas mowers are hard to find.. Due to shipping backed up. Used market is red hot..

I like to check it out in person, Keep looking.
A USA made model may be easier to find.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't mean to rain on your parade but the craftsman and Cub Cadet are probably the same mower just a different color. They are not really that good a mower. I have been in this business for 46 years and to me the best rear engine rider on the market is the Snapper rear engine riding mower. If you can find one they are really well made and last forever. I had one that was over 40 years old when I finally gave it up. I still have one just sitting in the shop that I could put back in use. It is the ultimate Forrest Gump mower LOL. I sold one that was really nice a few years ago to guy that come in looking for a Forrest Gump mower. I fixed him right up and have not seen it back since.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just curious if there are problems with distribution of mowers. I'm looking to buy a 30 inch gas powered riding mower. I found a Craftsman that's exactly what I want and when I ask Craftsman where to buy one I get referred only to Lowes. I go to Lowes and the store has zero, you can't order one online and the store can't order one for me. I found the same mower as a Cub Cadet and Cub Cadet says that I can get one at Home Depot. Same story as the Craftsman at Lowes. Can't get one. Went to a Cub Cadet authorized dealer and asked if they could get one and the answer was no, not available. I can buy one on line at a internet store but it's a 2021 not a 2022 model but their price is high and you have to pay shipping and it's delivered by a semi driver in your driveway and you have to assemble the mower. I'm uncomfortable paying over $2,000 for a mower that may be Dead on Arrival and would prefer to deal with a dealer or a big box store but all I'm hearing is too bad, so sad. Anyone know what is going on.
From the top
1) B & S went bankrupt in 2020 and that caused a major disruption & shortage of engines
2) Covid disrupted the supply of components & sub assemblies from everywhere and in particular from China
A lot of USA "made " mowers should have a sticker that says "assembled in the USA for 100% imported parts "
Also there was a shortage of very cheap Chinese steel for the bits that are uneconomic to be made in China to be made locally.
3) shortages of chips for ignition coils
4) shortage of empty containers to ship the stuff in
5) massive back log at ports causing delays & shortage of space on freight ships
6) lots of freight ships quarrentined because of rampid covid outbreaks
7) shortage of supply means that the mowers at the factories will go firstly the full price paying customers ( dealers ) before they get supplied at cost with free shipping to Walmart , HF, Lowes & the like on replacement credit
8) worker shortages at local factories due to covid.
Those 950,000 USA citizens who died were not all homeless bums & aged care residents , some worked at factories involved with mower making .
The 50,000,000 who got Covid & survived also were not available to work for at least a month , then add to that all of the close contacts who had to stay home & isolate for 7 to 21 days.
All of that will have a drastic affect on the supply of everything , which includes mowers .

Last year was a shocker
Everything I had that could be made to run was sold , and there were a lot with no warranty because they were not in good shape but any mower is better than no mower.
Had covid not struck big time down here it would have been worse, but we got locked down for 4 months so a lot of my customers used that time to repair their old mower that they kept because the used market was pathetic ( because of all of the crooks & shysters selling painted & polished rust ) .
Don't expect it to be much better for the rest of this year & most likely a good part of 2024 if not 2025 .

Now the USA is always waxing lyrical about haw fabulous the free market is and how wonderful it works.
Part & parcel of that is supply & demand
When demand outstrips supply then the prices go up big time. which is the part of the free market economy systems that is always kept quiet in favour of shouting about competition forcing prices down.
It is a two way street & right now all the traffic is going in the other direction .
There is a reason why the US inflation rate is currently 8% and some are predicting more than 10% for the full year, and it is not because you are all flush with money spending more than the system can provide .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a quick rundown. There were a lot of dealers that never received their 2021 stocking order at all. So there was not new mowers for the dealers to even sell, and this year is looking like there will be some stock available, but some dealers may not receive their 2022 stocking order until July/August time frame, just in time for the 2023 stocking orders to be prepared for January shipment. But the dealers that get delayed 2022 shipments will cut down on their 2023 orders which will prolong this supply shortcoming up into most likely 2025. And this is if everything goes right and things start running smoothly.

Moondoggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't mean to rain on your parade but the craftsman and Cub Cadet are probably the same mower just a different color. They are not really that good a mower. I have been in this business for 46 years and to me the best rear engine rider on the market is the Snapper rear engine riding mower. If you can find one they are really well made and last forever. I had one that was over 40 years old when I finally gave it up. I still have one just sitting in the shop that I could put back in use. It is the ultimate Forrest Gump mower LOL. I sold one that was really nice a few years ago to guy that come in looking for a Forrest Gump mower. I fixed him right up and have not seen it back since.
I would consider a Snapper Mower like the Craftsman or Cub Cadet but apparently the RE210 has been discontinued and Snapper's website doesn't show any rear engine mowers in their lineup.

ronnie2233

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been waiting on a Ferris I ordered in November of last year. Still no idea when I will get it, or how much it will cost. I have had an hour meter on back order for over a year, and two other parts back ordered for over 6 months. I live outside of Memphis, in north Mississippi. Most small engine shops around here are extremely low on stock.

Moondoggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
From everyone's comments it's looking a bit grim for 2022. Here's a question for you.

I chatted with Cub Cadet on their website yesterday after posting my inquiry here and they said that they hope to have 2022 stock available in April but my concern would be finding a dealer locally that could get one in 2022. I found a dealer that has a few new 2021 model in stock and has the manufacturer's warranty. If I purchased it from him it would be shipped to me via semi and delivered to me on a truck with a lift gate curbside in my driveway. Assembly would be my responsibility or I could have a local mower shop pick it up same day and perform the assembly and prep for me. I have the tools needed and I'm reasonably mechanical but I'm concerned about buying a mower online and would prefer to buy one from a big box store or a dealer. Am I making "Much Ado About Nothing" or should I stay clear of any mower sold online?.

Mower King

Threads
From everyone's comments it's looking a bit grim for 2022. Here's a question for you.

I chatted with Cub Cadet on their website yesterday after posting my inquiry here and they said that they hope to have 2022 stock available in April but my concern would be finding a dealer locally that could get one in 2022. I found a dealer that has a few new 2021 model in stock and has the manufacturer's warranty. If I purchased it from him it would be shipped to me via semi and delivered to me on a truck with a lift gate curbside in my driveway. Assembly would be my responsibility or I could have a local mower shop pick it up same day and perform the assembly and prep for me. I have the tools needed and I'm reasonably mechanical but I'm concerned about buying a mower online and would prefer to buy one from a big box store or a dealer. Am I making "Much Ado About Nothing" or should I stay clear of any mower sold online?.
I've told people this over and over.....I'll say it again, If you want a WARRANTY you can actually count on....buy from a Dealership and not a box store and definitely not online and have it delivered for you to assemble!

Joed756

Threads
I've told people this over and over.....I'll say it again, If you want a WARRANTY you can actually count on....buy from a Dealership and not a box store and definitely not online and have it delivered for you to assemble!
Here is my view (take it for what it's worth) on warranties, they are provided to protect the consumer in the case of defects from the manufacturer. This means the warranty is very important for about ten minutes during which time 99.99% of defects will reveal themselves. Starting on minute 11, they're worthless.