Walk behind Are lawn mowers ever lasting ?

I hear you Mister Mower, good point! If a person wants to they can make anything last a long time but not without some effort, its a matter of pride with me, plus i am a tightwad and want to get my moneys worth out of everything I buy.
 
I can't resist another chance to sing the praises of two-stroke engines. :laughing:

I have several two-stroke Lawn-Boy mowers that have lasted more than 25 years. There's picture below of a 1977 commercial Lawn-Boy that belonged to an owner of a lawn care company. He used it for hundreds of hours a year for over 30 years and it's still in good shape. Engine's fine (but I don't know about rebuilds) and the alloy deck is scratched up but undamaged. The front wheels are not original.

If a two-cycle engine is properly lubricated -- use a good two-stroke oil to mix with the gas -- the engine stays very well lubricated at all times. A four-stroke, on the other hand, will sometimes "starve" for oil when operated on a slope.

1977 Lawn-Boy model 6255:

LB-6255-01.jpg
 
I hear you Mister Mower, good point! If a person wants to they can make anything last a long time but not without some effort, its a matter of pride with me, plus i am a tightwad and want to get my moneys worth out of everything I buy.

Just from the "Lions Mouth" here....:laughing::laughing: For what things cost these days it is only common sense to make them last as long as possible, by giving them proper maintenance and care. Back in '73 my dream vehicle was a 4X4 Suburban, but the $5000 price tag was out of reach. By the time I could afford my dream truck, the sticker had ballooned to $45,000....you better believe it gets washed, waxed, and babied now that I finally own one. You are not a tightwad, nor a cheapskate, What makes the whole situation saddest, IMO, is that they design so many things today so cheaply, even with proper care, they have limited service life.
 
I can't resist another chance to sing the praises of two-stroke engines. :laughing:

I have several two-stroke Lawn-Boy mowers that have lasted more than 25 years. There's picture below of a 1977 commercial Lawn-Boy that belonged to an owner of a lawn care company. He used it for hundreds of hours a year for over 30 years and it's still in good shape. Engine's fine (but I don't know about rebuilds) and the alloy deck is scratched up but undamaged. The front wheels are not original.

If a two-cycle engine is properly lubricated -- use a good two-stroke oil to mix with the gas -- the engine stays very well lubricated at all times. A four-stroke, on the other hand, will sometimes "starve" for oil when operated on a slope.

1977 Lawn-Boy model 6255:

LB-6255-01.jpg

Most of the commercial Lawn Boy mowers I have seen have had that big fuel tank.
 
Two-stroke I really like that mower. JDgreen as usual what you said rings true to me, me and the Lionsmouth think alike! Ha ha, you all are the greatest!:thumbsup:
 
I have 27 lawntractors - majority of them were hugely used and abused - severely. My oldest is a 1970 550 toro and the 'newest' is a 2003 murray - but i did buy a brand new White LT12 back in '92 .

My toro is 40 years old - it still runs - i cant say how many mowing hours are on it because it hasnt mowed since i got it back in the 90's (PO was trying to use it for trail riding) - you gotta admit for a 40 year old aluminum block oil slinger motor with its original electric starter - never been cracked open is impressive( i think) - i thrashed the heck out of it once i got it running for a good couple years, summer, fall and winter - its had some other issues, but the motor has never failed. I plan on returning it to part time mowing status once i get a deck engagement setup figured out ( that part was missing) .

My '92 white has mowed 2 acres of yard ( 4 hours a mowing) , pulled stone, dirt and mulch for 19 years- for a couple years i mowed the neighbors 3 acres - ive changed the oil regular ( 2 x a year) motor is totally original ( cept reg maintence parts) except for the starter- its needed normal wear things over the years ( replacement front axle, mandrels, belts) - still has the OEM deck with no rust holes.

My 82 dynamark has its original 11HP aluminum splash motor, again unopened , has the original factory painted deck ( with a few minor rust spots- no holes) and the factory OEM blades - lil worn but still good- the mandrels have been replaced tho. This tractor was seriously abused before i bot it, think the only thing that really saved it was the front axle spindle bushings were broken and starter gear was stripped off .

Some tractors i have had water up to the top of the carb, my 86 GTII did - i cleaned it up ( pulled the heads and carb only- replaced the starter) - runs excellent and strong for a motor that abused and 26 years old- also an aluminum block/oil slinger.

Age and abuse and use should also play a part of motor longevity - im not saying a mower would last years w/o replacing at least something, but still running with original motor should say something for its toughness - i bet no new tractor today would last even half as long as cheep as they build them nowadays.

Im just hoping to get at least 10 years out of my 2003 murray's 16.5HP OHV motor......
 
Hi everyone, yea Dangeroustoys56, it seem to me the older mowers were "built to take a lickin and keep on tickin" I bet your 2003 will last you a good long time!
 
Back
Top