Are Briggs and Straton Still good?

Supernaut

Threads
I'm in the market for a used mower. I understand that Briggs use a lot of Chinese parts these days. Are they still a reliable bet? I'm also looking at a used Tecumseh in one Kijiji add. Would that be a better choice?

Threads
i bought a big box store john deere la145 with a briggs and stratton 22 horse v twin. i change the oil once a year with a new spin on type oil filter and have never had a probem. last week i changed the spark plugs for the first time with 145 hours on it in 4 years. its been great to me so far. i also use stabil fuel stabilizer on every tank so that may help the carb and the quality of the fuel and what not.

Supernaut

Threads
That is encouraging to hear. I should have been more specific but I was talking about the push type mowers in particular.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All of the engine manufacturers source parts from all over the world, not just China.

mullins87

Threads
I'm 43 years old and have been mowing yards since I was 6. Needless to say I have plenty of experience with mower engines, from a 3.5 hp push mower to my current 26 hp rider. Granted, the vast majority of that experience has been with B&S, but a few Kohlers and a couple of Tecumsehs(sp?) have been in the mix. I can only think of two B&S engines that crapped out, one was on a rider about 30 years ago. The governor broke and the engine ran away and grenaded before I could get it shut off. The other was on a push mower about 10 years ago, one of the rings broke and dug into the cylinder wall. You mentioned a Tecumseh. I have first hand experience with only two, one being on a rider and the other on a go-cart. Neither one lasted very long or impressed me very much. I tend to stay away from them.

That's my $0.02 worth and you'll get exactly what you paid for. :laughing:

Threads
They are decent. I haven't had a lot of luck with them lately. The one on my Toro threw the rod after about 4 years, and on my other Toro, the engine is getting a rod knock and it is starting to smoke (needs new rings?) after two years. But Tecumseh isn't any better. CARB PROBS!!!!!!!:eek: I could suggest a Honda. :smile:

Supernaut

Threads
Well it all sounds good enough for me.

My family has its own briggs story. When I was a boy of about 9 years old (1994 I about) or so I set out to mow the lawn one day. My dad had prepared the mowers for the season, both with briggs engines both dating from the 70's or early 80's, around there. I used the "yellow one" (no idea of the brands) because it was lighter and easier to push and I mowed the whole 1/3 acre lot. When my dad got home he didn't believe me that I used that mower, it was impossible, there's no oil in it. It took some time to convince him. As it turns out he had only prepared the other mower for the season so far and the yellow one was still without its oil that was drained for the winter.

He inspected that yellow mower with his millwright trained mechanical skills and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Still seemed to have lots of compression and so forth. It never ran anything but 10w30 conventional oil. We've always held it up to briggs and stratton toughness ever since.:laughing:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every engine manufacturer has had good and bad engines. You will hear mostly the bad ones on this forum, as that is what sticks in people's minds. For every horror story you can find a good one, like your's with the yellow mower. If the engine works great for you, you recommend it, if your experience is bad, you'll trash it. In my opinion the best engine ever made was the Tecumseh Snow King, you couldn't beat them with any brand, but it's not built any more. Purchase what makes you feel good.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm in the market for a used mower. I understand that Briggs use a lot of Chinese parts these days. Are they still a reliable bet? I'm also looking at a used Tecumseh in one Kijiji add. Would that be a better choice?

I have had used plenty of mowers mostly the b & s engines just don't seem to have the power under load bog down and or die :/ me personally I like honda style engines and kaw engines even the cheap versions don't seem to lose a lot of power when under heavy load but that's just my experience b&s are an old company full of good engineers and I'm sure I have had bad luck is all.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
seeing you are buying a used mower you really don't know how it was cared for. You will find that any of the popular brand engines are good.