Mower deck Anyone still have a Honda H4518HSA?

HFactor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a Honda H4518 riding mower in 1996 - been a great engine and transmission
The problem is the cutting deck belt drive system

Anyone out there have one of these machines and want to discuss the issue
Sure could use some suggestions

I've had what I consider normal 'wear and tear' issues with the 46" cutting deck . I always keep a spare drive belt on hand. Kind of a bugger to change the belt, and even worse to R&R the whole deck. I usually take a couple of deep breaths first, and then pray I don't drop it on my toe when I flip it over to clean stuck clippings or sharpen mulching blades.

I have what I think is a major problem in the making, though. Hopefully I'm wrong. The PTO has been making groaning sounds all season when the cutting belt is not engaged (of course while the engine is running, sheesh!). It has been getting worse, and yesterday, when I shut the engine off after an hour of mowing, it would not start due to something binding up there. It seems that the warmer the engine gets, the louder the noise from the PTO when the blades are not running. Is there a clutch or bearing that is a fairly common item needing to be replaced after 10-15 years with these?

I called the local Honda dealer, and they do not stock any parts, and could not give me any suggestions over the phone. They didn't even know if it was something they thought I would be able to troubleshoot myself. I was about to go out and look it over when I found this forum. I've had mine for almost 14 years. My only complaint until now has been how quickly the cooling system overheats and sounds the warning whistle as grass clippings collect on the radiator. I try to keep the fins blown out with compressed air or pressure washer which helps somewhat. Engine is solid and always runs great.

KJINTF

Threads
Good to see others still have this old machine
Do you have the factory shop manual - if not I would be happy to email you a PDF file of the shop manual - attached is a page outlining the PTO system
Yes parts are still available but not at your local Honda dealer
Try; Jacks small engines, Boats.net, Pats small engines, etc they all have parts for these machines

Good luck

Attachments

• 5-31-2011 4-37-50 PM.jpg
    5-31-2011 4-37-50 PM.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 53

HFactor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have the factory shop manual - if not I would be happy to email you a PDF file of the shop manual - attached is a page outlining the PTO system
Try; Jacks small engines, Boats.net, Pats small engines, etc they all have parts for these machines

Good luck
Yes, I would like a PDF copy of the shop manual. I got as far as the belt drive pulley assembly and the bearing inside was all torn up. I've checked around and the best price I've been able to come up with is $275 (discounted from $324) from my local Honda dealer. It's part #75106-758-801. In looking at the parts breakdown you attached, there is a part that I did not see when I took it apart, and I wonder if it tore up along with the bearing. It is the spacer or washer shown between the bearing and the cooling fan stay, and is marked 25x35x4.

If anyone knows where I can get this part for less $, I'd appreciate the info. There' got to be a #75106-758-801 pulley assembly somewhere that is just collecting dust that someone would be happy to have 100-or-so bucks for! I'll take any suggestions you guys may have.

Angelo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a h4518h, not sure about the sa part, great tractor, a little expensive to repair but well worth the money. I've changed the pto clutch on it 2 years ago and it took the dealer months to get the part. Till now it has been working great, just yesterday the fan melted off, I noticed the centre bolt was loose so I'm not sure just if threre is a bigger problem than just a loose fan. I could use a copy of that shop manual.

Threads
KJINTF, I can't help with your technical problem but had to say thanks for the great Montana photos.

Angelo

Forum Newbie
Threads
KJINTF the comment about it being a billgoat is so true, we have chains on the rear tires, it goes up hills I thought would be impossible. It would never make it up some of the hills I do without the chains but the chains are mostly for the winter, we have the snow thrower attachment that does the 300 foot driveway in less than 20min. we also have the extra weight attachment in the back to help keep it on the ground, I'll try to get a photo in of it on top of one of the hills it climbs once the fan is back on. $52 for the fan, it should be here in a few days.

I think I may have a leak at the radiator hose connection that may have caused it to over heat. When I first got the tractor I new nothing about it and it was overheating after about 1.5 hrs of running it in the heat, turned out the rad was packed with dirt and the fellow who owned it bent the fins try ing to clean it I guess, I spent hrs. bending them back and cleaning it, and that was the end of that problem.

So I'm suprised that the fan would melt without the engine overheating warning signal coming on, that kinda makes me think it was just the center bolt that came loose. There are 3 other small bolts that are supporting the fan in some way. They have a sleve on them about 1/4 " long. I didn't notice till I took all 3 off but one of the 3 bolts is shorter, does anyone know how to identify where it goes?

steve56

Forum Newbie
Threads

Good luck

Just read your message. Trying to fix a Honda 4518HSA would like to have the PDF file of the shop manual. Thanks for all the great help. smccart56@hotmail.com

K Price

Forum Newbie
Threads
42" deck, which has served us very well. Year 9 had all bearings for blades replaced and I believe one pulley as well. The mower deck belt typically lasts 2 - 3 years (+/- 80 hrs./year). About two years in, I was fortunate a local Honda dealer clued me in on the belt tensioner arm design flaw...once the new part went on the drive belt wear problem was solved. I refused to pay $60 for a belt from Honda...so switched to a high grade automotive belt (B105 for my set-up) and just replaced last week after about four years (over 300 hours). Not bad for a $20 belt. You should be set when you get the bent pulley arm installed. My only challenge currently is where to find replacement tires for less than an arm and leg...why did Honda go with a unique size? Seat is showing a little wear...maybe I'll stumble across a replacement seat somewhere that's also reasonably priced. This is Honda 'power equipment' stuff...why do the prices seem like Honda 'marine'? Yeah, would love to upgrade to reduce cut time by more than half, but my wife who cuts at least half the time has blocked the funds to replace a perfectly sound mower that she's comfortable using. Also have some steeper slopes that the 4518 is mows like a billy goat...so even when I get larger, zero-turn I plan to keep this workhorse for special duty.

Hi

I have the Honda 4518 with belt problem, do you know the part # for the tension arm I need to replace. Also where is the B105 belt sold. Thank you very much.

paulce59@hotmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
42" deck, which has served us very well. Year 9 had all bearings for blades replaced and I believe one pulley as well. The mower deck belt typically lasts 2 - 3 years (+/- 80 hrs./year). About two years in, I was fortunate a local Honda dealer clued me in on the belt tensioner arm design flaw...once the new part went on the drive belt wear problem was solved. I refused to pay $60 for a belt from Honda...so switched to a high grade automotive belt (B105 for my set-up) and just replaced last week after about four years (over 300 hours). Not bad for a $20 belt. You should be set when you get the bent pulley arm installed. My only challenge currently is where to find replacement tires for less than an arm and leg...why did Honda go with a unique size? Seat is showing a little wear...maybe I'll stumble across a replacement seat somewhere that's also reasonably priced. This is Honda 'power equipment' stuff...why do the prices seem like Honda 'marine'? Yeah, would love to upgrade to reduce cut time by more than half, but my wife who cuts at least half the time has blocked the funds to replace a perfectly sound mower that she's comfortable using. Also have some steeper slopes that the 4518 is mows like a billy goat...so even when I get larger, zero-turn I plan to keep this workhorse for special duty.

I replaced the rear tires on my 4518 last year. I purchase Carlisle 20x10x10 tires. The tire height was almost exactly the same as the tires the unit was originally equipped with. they were less than $50 a piece