Anyone put Honda engines on their Snapper?

cashman

Threads
On the walk behind Snappers with Honda engines, do they have a 7/8" crank or is it a different metric diameter? And does that go for the clones also?

BustedKnuckles

Threads
On the walk behind Snappers with Honda engines, do they have a 7/8" crank or is it a different metric diameter? And does that go for the clones also?

I looked at the clone before going to fleabay for my Honda engine.

Predator Engines 5.5 HP (173cc) OHV Vertical Shaft Gas Engine

I couldn't use this one since it has a 7/8" shaft and mine required the 25mm shaft. I've used three horizontal shaft clones and would buy one again with no hesitation; they all started easily and ran very well.

As long as you match the shaft diameter for your drive pulley and blade adapter, it should be an easy swap. The MTD I have has an older Honda GCV160 7/8" that I pulled off of my pressure washer after the pump failed.

LawnBoy97

Threads
I have an MTB with a bent crankshaft, as well as a Honda mower I may look at stealing the engine off of. As I clean out the garage and have some more free time, I'll hopefully get into this project.

Snapster

Threads
I have a Snapper 21500PCR (1981 model Robin 4s) on which I installed a Honda GCV190 engine. The engine was donated by an older Honda HRX217TDA which had a worn out 3- speed transmission. I liked the Honda mower but it was not worthwhile to attempt a fix - just too difficult and expensive to change out the tranny, so I scrapped the mower for parts. Only had to drill one hole on the deck and the engine fit right in. I shortened the four Honda mounting bolts as they were a little too long. Reused the Snapper throttle cable, but I had to drill a tiny hole on the Honda engine throttle arm so that the cable end would fit (see picture) but it works well enough. Kept the Honda blade adapter and dual blades because they worked so well before. Snapper belt fit right on Honda pulley. Also used the Honda front tires, and as you can see, I treaded the rear tires with mountain-bike tires per a YouTube video - I wanted to see if I could eliminate the unsightly ruts which the stock Snapper tires leave on my lawn - it is an improvement and also gets great traction now. And as for the old Robin engine - sold it, did not like the weight, noise, or performance of the Robin. And how does the Snapper/Honda perform?? Totally awesome. It is not deterred one bit by grass condition or terrain - nothing can stop it.

Attachments

• Snapper Honda 1.jpg
    Snapper Honda 1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Snapper Honda 2.jpg
    Snapper Honda 2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Snapper Honda 3.jpg
    Snapper Honda 3.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Snapper Honda 4.jpg
    Snapper Honda 4.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 70

Snapperfreak

Threads
Man that's clean. Did u re-paint that deck or has it spent its whole life inside a garage? Very nice. Is that a kill switch on the side of the engine? I like that too.

Threads
I have a Snapper 21500PCR (1981 model Robin 4s) on which I installed a Honda GCV190 engine. The engine was donated by an older Honda HRX217TDA which had a worn out 3- speed transmission. I liked the Honda mower but it was not worthwhile to attempt a fix - just too difficult and expensive to change out the tranny, so I scrapped the mower for parts. Only had to drill one hole on the deck and the engine fit right in. I shortened the four Honda mounting bolts as they were a little too long. Reused the Snapper throttle cable, but I had to drill a tiny hole on the Honda engine throttle arm so that the cable end would fit (see picture) but it works well enough. Kept the Honda blade adapter and dual blades because they worked so well before. Snapper belt fit right on Honda pulley. Also used the Honda front tires, and as you can see, I treaded the rear tires with mountain-bike tires per a YouTube video - I wanted to see if I could eliminate the unsightly ruts which the stock Snapper tires leave on my lawn - it is an improvement and also gets great traction now. And as for the old Robin engine - sold it, did not like the weight, noise, or performance of the Robin. And how does the Snapper/Honda perform?? Totally awesome. It is not deterred one bit by grass condition or terrain - nothing can stop it.

Looks great! :thumbsup: It does look really clean! Are those Honda wheels on the front, also? Great conversion.

Snapster

Threads
I did repaint the deck last year when I bought it. It was badly scratched up and dirty, however it was not rusted much to speak of, its what I like about old Snapper decks they are very sturdy and long-lived. Yes, the toggle switch is engine kill switch. This engine had a magneto brake and a engine kill swich was mounted on it, however I did not care to incorporate this on the Snapper so I just mounted an up/down switch instead, and disabled the magneto brake altogether.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Very good idea, I like the switch down there. Hey I noticed from other posts u have other snappers too. How about pics of them all when u get a chance?

Snapster

Threads
I have a model 21400P Briggs and a 21500PC Tecumseh, both these machines are fun to use and very reliable home mowers, I've already posted these on the Snapper forum here. Also have one more 21500PCR which I will keep around for parts, I don't care much for the Robin 4 stroke engine. Hope I don't find any more old Snappers as I don't have any more room to put them all.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Ahhh yes, went back through and found those. Sure do like all those vintage machines. Good collection.