Anyone know anything about PVC fuel line?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ordered another roll of rubber fuel line today, and noticed some that's made out of PVC. Says it's fuel and chemical resistant. So it rubber, isn't it?
I'm guessing this stuff would kink real easy when trying to install it.

Stens 115-022 Stens Fuel Line (it comes in several different ID's)
1694484108319.png

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a roll of it. It works. I use it where regular 1/4" line won't fit as the wall is thinner than the regular rubber line. Similar to the line used on asian quads. Shiny PVC and not rubber.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of the push mowers down here use PVC fuel line
Goes hard eventually due to heat so pulls away from the barbs & leaks if it does not crack first
To be honest Victa do say to replace it at every 5 years service but most leave it till it is rock hard
FWIW the late models use pneumatic governor & pneumatic decompressor so all of the mower uses the same PVC lines on a 5 year replacement

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a roll of it. It works. I use it where regular 1/4" line won't fit as the wall is thinner than the regular rubber line. Similar to the line used on asian quads. Shiny PVC and not rubber.

Does it bend or kink on tight turns, like a short 90 degree?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel line.jpg
This is the 1/4" PVC and regular Stens 115-295 rubber fuel line. Will kink about the same but you can use a heat gun to remold the PVC line.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
A lot of the push mowers down here use PVC fuel line
Goes hard eventually due to heat so pulls away from the barbs & leaks if it does not crack first
To be honest Victa do say to replace it at every 5 years service but most leave it till it is rock hard
FWIW the late models use pneumatic governor & pneumatic decompressor so all of the mower uses the same PVC lines on a 5 year replacement

Which one do you think lasts longer? I just replaced a fuel line on an early 2000's John Deere. The only problem with it was that it wasn't routed properly and was wedged a little. Over time, the place were it was wedged closed off. But the inside of the line was still good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Recommended replacement every 5 years sort of answers that question
After 10 it goes so hard that you have to cut it off
When it goes hard it no longer makes an air tight ( or fuel tight ) seal
I only use PVC on Victas as there are 4 tubes and it is easier ( and cheaper ) to swap the fuel & pneumatic lines .
No clips , so it is push on pull off , total cost of the bulk tube is $ 3 retail price of the 4 tubes is $ 25 so a healthy mark up.
On my own mower I use Tygon
The old rubber fuel line lasts a lot longer but the new 3 layer stuff is junk which if you do not lube it when fitting there is a very high chance of damaging the very thin inner liner
I have a lot and repair a lot of mowers that are well over 20 years old and many of them are still running the original fuel lines that require nothing more than lopping off the final 1/4" where they have stretched .