Anyone good with residential electrical wiring?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry PT, there really is a danger. Codes or rules are put there mainly for the repair man or woman. Just like in the small engine business we have to make assumptions that things are done a certain way. Repair personnel are killed or injured everyday because someone failed to follow the rules.

I'm not opposed to all rules and regs. And agree, if everything is done the same way, it does make things easier and safer for the next guy. But just because something is done differently, doesn't make it unsafe. When it comes to wiring, this is why we have testers to make sure something isn't hot.
Apparently the guy who did this, wasn't a contractor. Probably a family member who knew what he was doing, But did things his own way. The next that comes along (as in me) has to figure out "his way." Thanks to you fella's, and drawing it out on a piece of paper, I was able to figure it all out. And to keep everything safe, I had to install this new light fixture the way he did it.
In all honesty, the rules and regs could've been written up the way this guy did it. Someone somewhere decided that black was hot and white was neutral. When they made that decision, they could've said that white is going to be hot. And that would've been the standard from now on.

Looking at some of the other wiring in the attic, I can tell a lot of it has been up there since the house was built. It has some sort of black mesh coating over the wires, instead of the plastic coating that's used today. They must've made stuff a lot better back in the day, because it's still working as it should.

I wonder what new 12-2 strip of wiring is going to look like in 50 years.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looking at some of the other wiring in the attic, I can tell a lot of it has been up there since the house was built. It has some sort of black mesh coating over the wires, instead of the plastic coating that's used today. They must've made stuff a lot better back in the day, because it's still working as it should.

I wonder what new 12-2 strip of wiring is going to look like in 50 years.
Most likely asphalt impregnated paper insulation. My house has the same wiring.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At one time there was an AC color code and a different DC color code setup but I have notice on mowers the OEM are using a mix of the codes now. Can be a little confusing for of us was only exposed to one of the two electrical industries. Most times I need an actually wiring schematic to know how wired things.

And now of course JD uses a number system along with wire colors and you better being for the numbers as they change colors over time but with the same number. That is why I had to buy the JD service manuals on equipment I work on.