Anyone else notice the wild price increases on parts lately?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Anyone else notice the wild price increases on parts lately?
Very few people understand the difference between a real democracy & a representative democracy which is the system of just about every western government.
And remember in the original Greek democracy only the male property owners were allowed to vote.
So it was government by the rich for the rich.
Despite the rhetoric nothing had changed in 2000 years .

as for Briggs prices, I expected to see big increases in their prices.
Having gone down owing $ 600,000 a good bit of that would have been payments to their suppliers.
Having been shafted once a good few of them would be reluctant to supply them again and those who do will want to recover their losses through higher prices and very limited credit.
When our customers went down, we would offer to continue to do their work at a 50 % premium and paid weekly till the past due was paid off.
Most actually accepted this offer because having gone down, no one else would do work for them on credit .

And of course, unless Briggs goes big time into whole goods then they have a very limited life left other than as a parts supplier for obsolete engines as it is only a matter of time before petrol engines are gone and those remaining will all be made in China or India

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take a look at the box the small kohler and briggs engines come in. The say made in china. Had a guy with a 70's log splitter with a worn out engine. He told me to put a real 'murican engine on it not some crap from china. Got a briggs in and the box says made in China. Didn't show the guy. Just easier that way.
Hopefully the aftermarket suppliers will produce more parts. Like it or not pretty soon lots of OEM will be NLA so without aftermarket folks will be SOL. Hope the OEM or nothing guys don't get a panic attack. Dealers will just say too bad so sad can't fix it would you like to buy a new one?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mentioning Briggs here this year I haven't seen as many of them here when to the Kohler and Kawasaki engines. I have actually purchased under $300 in parts from Briggs this year so far. Usually by this time of year it is closer to $2000. And usually less than $100 in Honda parts but it closer to $1000 so far.

Something tells me users are leaving Briggs engines behind.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@StarTech My Briggs sales have been dropping since about 2017. Seeing less and less of Briggs, Kohler has been about the same if maybe slightly more. Kawasaki has been common this year, Most of the market coming from older units. And like Bert mentioned due to the bankruptcy there are a lot of supplier that are reluctant to work with them.

I have a new out of box Craftsman pressure washer in the shop that I have been waiting on a $6 part since September. This is a Craftsman pressure washer with Briggs stickers on it that I am positive was made by Generac. The part number was a Generac part number that has since been discontinued by Generac.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After some less than satisfactory dealings with B & S Australia, I am no longer fitting any more B &S engines unless specifically asked to do so .
I rather think that B & S Australia is taking orders & money then holding on to it till they have enough to put an order on B & S USA.
The wait times are hideous .
Same with Oregon , when I finish the last couple of rolls of chain I will no longer stock any Oregon products because of B & S Australia's attitude to customers.
So there is another 20 or so sets of Gators I will not be fitting every year and a dozen or so chain bars will now be Japanese Sugihara's.
Hopefully my wholesalers will end up bringing in their entire range .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had an older craftsman pressure washer thai needed a part for the pump. All parts lists showed not spared. After just googling pressure washer water inlet i found the part for $20. It is sometimes a circuis trying to find part numbers and then the part.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have a new out of box Craftsman pressure washer in the shop that I have been waiting on a $6 part since September. This is a Craftsman pressure washer with Briggs stickers on it that I am positive was made by Generac. The part number was a Generac part number that has since been discontinued by Generac.
Isn't that just ducky. I just got in tie straps from Oregon that were back ordered through my distributor for last 4 months. Strange though as the alternate distributor had them in stock. I would cancelled the b/o items if it weren't me getting hit with a lot shipping charges (as I would had dropped below the free ship mark) I would have cancelled the order.

Anyway I am now check both distributors before ordering parts. I can wait the extra day of shipping time.

But if things keep on the same path of doubling and tripling of costs I just might close down the business.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Woohoo. Ordered from stens yesterday afternoon and ups showed up today with my order. Hope they are back to normal now.