Anybody have winter bonfires?

173abn

Threads
JDGreen,nice burn!I helped a buddy of mine burn a big pile of hedge once.what we didn't know was the pile was on top of another older pile that had been dozed and covered with dirt.The fire from our burn went under ground and burned over a week under ground and then burned a stand of hugh Catpuas.By the way nice DEER.What engine is in it?Is it Yanmar or Onan? russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
JDGreen,nice burn!I helped a buddy of mine burn a big pile of hedge once.what we didn't know was the pile was on top of another older pile that had been dozed and covered with dirt.The fire from our burn went under ground and burned over a week under ground and then burned a stand of hugh Catpuas.By the way nice DEER.What engine is in it?Is it Yanmar or Onan? russ

Thanks for asking, it's a Yanmar 3TNE82A, 73 cubic inches, 27 gross hp, 22 pto hp...just turned 805 hrs.

LandN

Threads
nice burn, wish i was there lol

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
Now that is a bonfire! I've never had a chance to experience one that size. I'm pretty jealous. I've been freezing here in Washington. I know it's not as cold as some places, but it's too cold for me lol.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Te laws where I live say ALL FLAME must be out before dark, it was about two hours before that when I began to bury the pile with snow, that JD really earned it's fuel today.

It's too bad that you can't burn at night. I have a good time with night bonfires -- but mine are in containers (old steel barrels with vents cut near the bottom.)

Thanks for posting the photos.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am going to have to burn my brush pile ... one of these years...
It's around 30 years old now and every year I have added a lot to it... Many complete trees, and lots of tree trimmings from ice damage and regular pruning... It's a monster... I have been putting it off for a long time.
When I finally light it you will most likely see the flames from wherever you are... just look toward south central Kansas. It will burn into the night and most likely into the 2nd night... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's too bad that you can't burn at night. I have a good time with night bonfires -- but mine are in containers (old steel barrels with vents cut near the bottom.)

Thanks for posting the photos.

I think the laws here permit CONTAINER BURNING after dark, but a fire like mine is considered open burning and therefore it must be out by dark.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am going to have to burn my brush pile ... one of these years...
It's around 30 years old now and every year I have added a lot to it... Many complete trees, and lots of tree trimmings from ice damage and regular pruning... It's a monster... I have been putting it off for a long time.
When I finally light it you will most likely see the flames from wherever you are... just look toward south central Kansas. It will burn into the night and most likely into the 2nd night... :smile:KennyV

Post us some pics of yours as it looks now...wow, if I had let MINE grow for the 20 years I had lived here it would have been 8X the size of what I just did burn. Perhaps 173abn was referring to "catalpa" trees...I had some, they have huge leaves and long seed pods and are one of the messiest trees there are...

Smartaleck

Threads
I'd like to see the photos too as I haven't seen a good bonfire since I was a child. We aren't allowed to light bonfires where I live and we can't do much at all really without jumping through a lot of health and safety hoops!