Any mods or adjustments needed for install of cannister air filter?

txmowman

Threads
  • / Any mods or adjustments needed for install of cannister air filter?
txmowman---I am not in extreme conditions, except living in south Louisiana where summertime temps are 95+ degrees with humidity at that level or higher. The occasional fire ant mound is really the only dust that gets kicked up, or if the wind is blowing stuff toward the engine. After each weekly cutting, I do lift the air cleaner cover and blow out any debris with the leaf blower---no compressed air. I do also have a foam pre-filter. I just started using Valvoline synthetic racing oil because of the higher zinc content and claimed anti-wear properties. Also, I plan on removing the blower housing to inspect for and clean any foreign debris. Thanks for your advice!!
If you are using Valvoline VR1, this is a healthy 1400 ppm of zinc. The foam filter is intended to keep larger debris away from the filter media which can extend the life. A lot of people lift the cover, view the foam and think it looks good, but never check the paper media below it. My recommendation, since you don't need a tool to remove the filter, is to remove it regularly and pull back the foam. Also look inside. It literally takes 1-2 minutes at best. You should see zero evidence of dust/dirt on the inside. If so, change the filter. Looks like you have a good system. Keep it up.

BTBO

Threads
If you are using Valvoline VR1, this is a healthy 1400 ppm of zinc. The foam filter is intended to keep larger debris away from the filter media which can extend the life. A lot of people lift the cover, view the foam and think it looks good, but never check the paper media below it. My recommendation, since you don't need a tool to remove the filter, is to remove it regularly and pull back the foam. Also look inside. It literally takes 1-2 minutes at best. You should see zero evidence of dust/dirt on the inside. If so, change the filter. Looks like you have a good system. Keep it up.
Yes, the oil is the VR1 in the black bottle. I just ordered two new filters w/pre-filters since I haven't replaced the original. The engine has 148 hrs, so it's time to change it.

SamB

Threads
I have read through this whole thread and just want to add that worrying about the EPA isn't a thing to get too concerned about. Why do I say this? Almost EVERY Harley Davidson motorcycle on the roads here in the USA is in violation of express EPA rules that state that exhaust systems must not be modified by rule of law. It's even stamped on the bike's exhaust system. Yet the first thing most every owner does is take the factory pipes off (i.e. mufflers) and put near straight pipes on their bike. EPA rules be damned.(and your ears). Adding extra intake filtering wouldn't and shouldn't raise emissions unless it restricted air flow to cause overly rich mixture conditions. A clogged original filter would more likely cause overly rich condition with more pollution. (my shoe size is 9 1/2,btw)

BTBO

Threads
I have read through this whole thread and just want to add that worrying about the EPA isn't a thing to get too concerned about. Why do I say this? Almost EVERY Harley Davidson motorcycle on the roads here in the USA is in violation of express EPA rules that state that exhaust systems must not be modified by rule of law. It's even stamped on the bike's exhaust system. Yet the first thing most every owner does is take the factory pipes off (i.e. mufflers) and put near straight pipes on their bike. EPA rules be damned.(and your ears). Adding extra intake filtering wouldn't and shouldn't raise emissions unless it restricted air flow to cause overly rich mixture conditions. A clogged original filter would more likely cause overly rich condition with more pollution. (my shoe size is 9 1/2,btw)
My shoe size is 12 and decided the $250 cost for a cannister air filter isn't worth it, not to mention I wasn't at all worried about the EPA. With that said, I did order two OEM Kawa filters w/pre-filters, which will be installed shortly.

SamB

Threads
My shoe size is 12 and decided the $250 cost for a cannister air filter isn't worth it, not to mention I wasn't at all worried about the EPA. With that said, I did order two OEM Kawa filters w/pre-filters, which will be installed shortly.
12? that is getting close to that afore mentioned poster description! LOL!
p.s. Can't go wrong putting things back as intended. I have a Pete 379 chrome cowl air cleaner out in the garage that might look so cool on my ZTR, and I'd NEVER have to change filters,but why bother.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only thing I will add to theis is to be very careful that you do not over tighten the air filter elbow connector at either end
Over tightening will cause distortion and allow the engine to succk unfiltered air
The 6 times I have rringed there engines in every case the owner was a strong man ( carpenters/ builders/ brikkie / concteter ) and in every case the cause was collapsing the elbow by overtightening tht thumb screw .
Do it up at the bottom only till the elbow can no longer rotate on the manifold
Then do the same with the filter
A spot of rubber grease works wonders
When you see it stop being forced out of the joint you are on the verge of overtightening .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try to having to have a men's size 17 shoe.

BTBO

Threads
The only thing I will add to theis is to be very careful that you do not over tighten the air filter elbow connector at either end
Over tightening will cause distortion and allow the engine to succk unfiltered air
The 6 times I have rringed there engines in every case the owner was a strong man ( carpenters/ builders/ brikkie / concteter ) and in every case the cause was collapsing the elbow by overtightening tht thumb screw .
Do it up at the bottom only till the elbow can no longer rotate on the manifold
Then do the same with the filter
A spot of rubber grease works wonders
When you see it stop being forced out of the joint you are on the verge of overtightening .
That's good advice berts, thanks for it.

lil SIG

Threads
I have A Scag Liberty Z 48 with Kawasaki FR651V, and am wanting to get a cannister air filter from Power Equipment Man. They say no need to re-jet the carb or other modifications. What say the great minds on this forum?
The FR's are great engines. If you want a canister air filtration system. Go for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403_182953_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403_182953_Gallery.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 5