Anti-scalping wheel height?

JDubya88

Threads
What setting do you guys suggest running the anti-scalp wheels at? Mine came from the dealer on the higher of the two settings, but I'm thinking of moving them to the lowest setting because my yard is so uneven in certain spots. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

kadowson

Threads
I lowered mine right off to the lowest position. Even then, they don't touch the ground that I've seen. My yard is uneven as well and that's why I moved mine.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
My manual said to adjust them to be about 1/4" off the ground when at mowing height. Do not support the deck with the wheels.

Kremeneon

Threads
I moved mine to the lower holes.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
What setting do you guys suggest running the anti-scalp wheels at? Mine came from the dealer on the higher of the two settings, but I'm thinking of moving them to the lowest setting because my yard is so uneven in certain spots. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

Unless you are seeing clear evidence of scalping, I would leave them on the highest setting like they are. It is my understanding that the recommendation most mfr's give is to use the highest setting possible that prevents scalping on your particular terrain.

JDubya88

Threads
I have seen some evidence of scalping in certain areas of the yard from the first cut when the wheels were set at the higher setting. I moved them to the lower setting for my last mow and saw a little scalping, but less than before. I think I'll do a couple more cuts on this setting before I decide to move them back up or not. Thanks for all the responses guys!:thumbsup:

Kremeneon

Threads
I have seen some evidence of scalping in certain areas of the yard from the first cut when the wheels were set at the higher setting. I moved them to the lower setting for my last mow and saw a little scalping, but less than before. I think I'll do a couple more cuts on this setting before I decide to move them back up or not. Thanks for all the responses guys!:thumbsup:

Exactly my experience. I have a new yard so it has lots of evening out to do, I may be getting a roller soon to help with that. There are a whole lot of little high spots and low spots. Even with the rollers at lower peg it does scalp here and there. I have just gone out and driven around a few times on the high spots after a rain, it did smush them down a little.