Another weed thread...

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
I read through the previous recent weed thread and I didn't want to hijack that thread so here is my dilemna...
First off I am far from a green thumb and don't know the difference between grasses, weeds, plants, etc. I do know what a good looking lawn is and I have been killing myself trying to fight this lawn. I have another post about growing grass around my water oaks and look forward to getting information on that subject. Now for my weeed issue - I have plant beds around about 3/4 of my house. For the most part they are weed free and have very hardy plants that have lasted year after year. There is however, one section that no matter what I do gets a ton of weeds. I have pulled them dozens of times, sprayed Round-Up dozens of times, dug out the mulch and a thin layer of the soil trying not to disturb the plants and brought in new soil and mulch, etc. They always grow back. I even tried a different type of weed killer that was recommended by a friend and it turns them brown and within a couple weeks they are back with a vengence. If I didn't know better I would swear I was fertilizing them! Why is it just this one section - it is on the south side of the house and see's sun just about all day if that is a clue.

A couple pics...

100_9068.jpg

100_9067.jpg

100_9069.jpg

Mower manic

Threads
It's hard to tell because you have the camera little to far away for positive I. D., but it looks to me like it could be either Bermuda grass or Torpedo grass. Torpedo grass is very difficult to eradicate as it reproduces under ground so the the important parts are in the dirt and won't get exposed to a post emergent herbicide.
Bermuda, on the other hand uses seeds to reproduce, but bermuda will turn brown and go dormant at the first sign of cold weather. You can control it with repeated application of a non selective, post emergent herbicide, but you must be diligent with your repeated applications during warm weather.
If this is Torpedo grass, Understand that this plant may have another name in your area. you really only have 2 choices, a pre-emergent herbicide, or phisically removing all parts of the plants and starting over.
Try to get real familiar with your plant/weed by removing the different parts photographing and sending the images to your county extension office via email. They will be able to tell you exactly what you have and what your options are.
I have had the best luck removing weeds the oid fashioned way...by pulling them out of the ground with my hands, a weed puller, or what ever means necessary, believe it or not it sounds like a lot of work but over the long run it's a pretty efficient way to go.
I read your post about the grass under the oak trees and I'm convinced you can get grass to grow there you just need the right grass. Look for grasses that use stolons, that will thrive in low light conditions with acid soils as the oak leaves contain tannic acid. This will be imparted to the soil over time. And lower the ph. You can change the ph but that is something that you will have to battle, better to get a grass that enjoys that condition eh?
Talk to your county extension agent about this too. He is compensated by your federal tax dollars so you may as well take adavntage of this service, and get your moneys worth.

Mr. Shamrock

Threads
Thanks! If I get a close up will you be able to tell the difference?

jenkinsph

Threads
I don't think anyone can help without a closer view, atleast I can't tell what it is.

turfgrasspro

Threads
I agree a closer Picture would be a tremendous help! In one of the pics it kinda looks like Bermuda grass that has crept over your edging into the flowerbeds, but very hard to tell from the pics. If you get a chance take us some more pictures and we can try to help you out.