Another no start problem!

locks up, with the starter being stuck in the engaged position. I loosened the starter to allow it to return to the disengaged position.

********************************************************************
That starter pinion gear should not be binding in the flywheel.

If the starter is mounted so a shim of a few thousandths can be added to move the starter away from the flywheel a small amount I'd be trying that.
 
********************************************************************
That starter pinion gear should not be binding in the flywheel.

If the starter is mounted so a shim of a few thousandths can be added to move the starter away from the flywheel a small amount I'd be trying that.

Hmm... I'll give that a try. It's worth the shot, I'm out of ideas! :laughing:
 
The starter part number should be 730326. I hope that is the one you have. Never thought about what the last poster said, but if the legs on the starter are bent wrong, that would cause the problem and shimming will help. Thanks for catching that SandBur.
 
Success! Shimming the starter allowed the starter to turn the engine over with the spark plug out. However, I am still experiencing the same problem when I put the spark plug back in.
 
Success! Shimming the starter allowed the starter to turn the engine over with the spark plug out. However, I am still experiencing the same problem when I put the spark plug back in.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is where an amp gauge is handy. It will tell us if the starter and battery are doing the very best they were designed to do or if there is another problem like compression relief not working because of valve adjustment on certain engines.

In my testing of an engine of that size I've found normal cranking amps. to be in the neighborhood of 100 and abnormal cranking amps. to be close to 300.

If I had a thousand of these gauges pictured I'd give everyone on this forum 1 but this is all I've got and it came in an auction box of just STUFF.
 

Attachments

  • amp gauge .jpg
    amp gauge .jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top