Another no start problem!

Starter is brand new. I actually bench tested it before I installed it (habit from working in the dealership) and it spun up great.

So, according to this manual (which, BTW, I saved. It's awesome!) I'm looking at either flywheel interference or internal engine failure. The latter of the two does not sound appetizing...
 
Ok, try this. Jump the starter directly, not going through the battery. Tractor parking brake locked down, negative jump lead to a good ground, positive jump lead to the terminal on the starter, no plug. If it spins, install plug, and lock the parking brake down. Choke on, throttle half way and see if it will start.
 
Time to check wiring. There might be a safety interlock switch, such as the seat/ operator presence, cutting deck engaged, and the parking brake? Address all those and then try and turn it over.
Let us know.
 
Time to check wiring. There might be a safety interlock switch, such as the seat/ operator presence, cutting deck engaged, and the parking brake? Address all those and then try and turn it over.
Let us know.

Would any of those malfunctioning allow the starter to attempt to start at all? The starter engages the flywheel and usually gets 1/8 to 1/4 turn before locking up.
 
Just reread your thread and this popped out at me. You said you replaced the starter. Tecumseh had two different starter gears. Is it possible that the number of teeth on you new starter is different than the number on the old. Some had nine teeth and some had ten. Please check. This is not a wiring problem, because when you did a direct jump you bypassed the entire wiring harness.
 
Turned the flywheel by hand for four revolutions, no hang-ups.
Double-checked the number of teeth on the starter: 10, same as the old starter, which at least USED to start the mower.

I'm racking my brain here...
 
So am I. Can you put the old starter back on and try it or is it completely junk. Now, I'm thinking you have a bad new starter, possibly a broken magnet or bad brush, causing the problem. If you can rotate then engine by hand, I don't want to go inside at this time. Don't see a need yet.
 
So am I. Can you put the old starter back on and try it or is it completely junk. Now, I'm thinking you have a bad new starter, possibly a broken magnet or bad brush, causing the problem. If you can rotate then engine by hand, I don't want to go inside at this time. Don't see a need yet.

Old starter is completely junk. Could be a bad new starter (I've seen that happen before with automotive parts).
 
Back
Top