Another briggs intek...oil consumption

Boostd2valve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. Got a 20hp twin intek. It was using a good amount of oil and smoking on and off. I had a set of head gaskets in the garage from another build so I figured I would try it first. Gaskets were on the way out but not the issue. Seems like the vent tube is spitting oil into the air box, also did notice oil by the fuel pump valve cover tube as it may be coming out of there also. Anyone seen this before? Rings letting blow by? Thanks for any insight.

briggs

Threads
Hello all. Got a 20hp twin intek. It was using a good amount of oil and smoking on and off. I had a set of head gaskets in the garage from another build so I figured I would try it first. Gaskets were on the way out but not the issue. Seems like the vent tube is spitting oil into the air box, also did notice oil by the fuel pump valve cover tube as it may be coming out of there also. Anyone seen this before? Rings letting blow by? Thanks for any insight.

it has a faulty vent or it has a bad ring

davpal

Forum Newbie
Threads

I had the same problem I put new rings in it. I'll be putting the motor back in tomorow I'll let you know if it cured it.

Boostd2valve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds good, let me know the outcome so I can decide what way I wanna go. Btw what kind of job was it? Thanks

UnstableIan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having the same issue with my 21 HP single cylinder Intek. I replaced the vent, but it didn't fix it, oil still coming out of the vent at a pretty good amount and smokes during shut down. Looks like the ring will have to be replaced.

Boostd2valve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good luck on your engine. If you figure anything out, please let me know. I'm still debating myself if I'm wanting to go into it or try and find a replacement. Tractor is too clean to not fix.

UnstableIan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good luck on your engine. If you figure anything out, please let me know. I'm still debating myself if I'm wanting to go into it or try and find a replacement. Tractor is too clean to not fix.

I've had someone else suggest that my head gasket is the issue. I will do both just to be sure. Hopefully I can get the time to do this soon, I will let you know what the outcome is.

Boostd2valve

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's cheap and not to bad of a job so it's worth a shot. Wish it worked for me lol. Keep in touch. Thanks!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once the head is off have some carefully measure the bore. You cannot fix a bad bore with new rings. Good luck.