Export thread

Animal waste

H

Honey

How bad for my lawn is animal waste and what can I put on it to counteract the problem. I wish I owned a bee bee gun, I have a cat that thinks my lawn is his litter box. Worse is, it is not even mine!

JDgreen

JDgreen

How bad for my lawn is animal waste and what can I put on it to counteract the problem. I wish I owned a bee bee gun, I have a cat that thinks my lawn is his litter box. Worse is, it is not even mine!

I have four cats and feed several strays and they all use my lawn as a litter box. DON'T YOU GO SHOOTING AT ANY ANIMAL ESPECIALLY CATS !! I have skunks that dig up my yard and do thousands of times more damage than cats do and I don't shoot at them WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?????? Animal waste is FERTILIZER anyway !!!!!

K

KennyV

How bad for my lawn is animal waste and what can I put on it to counteract the problem.

Honey ... unless you have elephants on your lawn, you shouldn't have much to worry about...
Small critters are not going to do great harm... It will all 'water in'... :smile:KennyV

P

Pika

Whenever you mow the lawn, it will spread the *fertilizer* that the animals are leaving behind for you. I know it can be frustrating, though, especially if you like to walk around on your lawn!

JDgreen

JDgreen

Whenever you mow the lawn, it will spread the *fertilizer* that the animals are leaving behind for you. I know it can be frustrating, though, especially if you like to walk around on your lawn!

When you step in a goodie an animal left you, just practice the step called the 'Barnyard Shuffle"....:laughing:

There are piles of deer poop EVERYWHERE on my yard, maybe I better get a BB gun to run them off as she suggested...:laughing:

Jetblast

Jetblast

I'd kill a man for kicking my dog. Fortunately I have a good fence which has kept me out of the ol' gray bar hotel.:biggrin: I'm sure you were just kidding around, but the idea of injuring or blinding someone's beloved pet over a few landmines is rather nasty. Unfortunately that is something that bad people actually do, so it hits a little close to home.

Here's what I use to clean up after my dogs.

BKBrown

BKBrown

They do make pest chasers that are either sound or a garden sprinkler - motion sensor activated. Not harmful, but effective.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'd kill a man for kicking my dog. Fortunately I have a good fence which has kept me out of the ol' gray bar hotel.:biggrin: I'm sure you were just kidding around, but the idea of injuring or blinding someone's beloved pet over a few landmines is rather nasty. Unfortunately that is something that bad people actually do, so it hits a little close to home.

I'd kill somebody for harming a whisker on THIS face....

Attachments

S

Smartaleck

I don't worry about the cats in my garden. I find cats very tidy actually and they usually bury their "business" so that you don't even know it's there.

P

pollyannasmum

The people who live around our little settlement of retirement homes are very well behaved and pick up their dog dirt as they walk their animals. I have yet to see a dog that isn't on a leash. I used to live in a village in Scotland where cows were allowed to wander everywhere as it was all common grazing land. Now that's what you call fertilizer!

Jetblast

Jetblast

I'd kill somebody for harming a whisker on THIS face....

Dawwwwww! Nice kitty.

These are my mobile lawn fertilization units.

4952589983_6955161ecf_m.jpg

grnspot110

grnspot110

Unfortunately that is something that bad people actually do, so it hits a little close to home.

The "bad people" are the ones who won't teach their pets to stay home, for the pets own safety! That's why pets get hit on the road & pick up things they shouldn't.

As far as running them off, a good loud stern "GET OUTTA' HERE" usually works. If the pets owner doesn't like the noise, who cares!

My dog stays in his own yard. ~~ grnspot

Jetblast

Jetblast

The "bad people" are the ones who won't teach their pets to stay home, for the pets own safety! That's why pets get hit on the road & pick up things they shouldn't.

As far as running them off, a good loud stern "GET OUTTA' HERE" usually works. If the pets owner doesn't like the noise, who cares!

My dog stays in his own yard. ~~ grnspot

Yes, of course it's illegal (in many counties) and irresponsible to let your dog roam. As for cats, I know that some people have house cats which tend to live longer than free-range cats for the reasons you've mentioned, but can you teach a free-range cat to stay in its own yard? I don't know, I've never had a cat.

grnspot110

grnspot110

Yes, of course it's illegal (in many counties) and irresponsible to let your dog roam. As for cats, I know that some people have house cats which tend to live longer than free-range cats for the reasons you've mentioned, but can you teach a free-range cat to stay in its own yard? I don't know, I've never had a cat.

"Free range" cats are a big problem anywhere, caused by careless owners. Cats are not wildlife & should not be treated as such. I understand cats having the "run" on farm or ranch properties, but in towns they need to be kept at home! ~~ grnspot

Jetblast

Jetblast

"Free range" cats are a big problem anywhere, caused by careless owners. Cats are not wildlife & should not be treated as such. I understand cats having the "run" on farm or ranch properties, but in towns they need to be kept at home! ~~ grnspot

Agreed. The clear solution is for the OP to shoot the cat's owner with a BB gun.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I wouldn't harm a Dog or Cat because of it, but our neighbors have a minimum of 10 acres each and most many more. When we moved in the neighbor across the road had a Golden Retriever that came out of the house every morning and straight across the road into our driveway and left a LOAD where we needed to be careful not to get it in the vehicle tires. I didn't say anything until that dog wasn't with them anymore, but when they got a new one I told them what Charlie used to do and that I expected the new one to be trained to stay home to do his business. Charlie was here before we were and Lightning was a puppy and I could expect him to be trained. Lightning stays home.

The cats come over and when our Lab Zazz notices them she makes them go home. Jazz will even stop at the property line when she is chasing cats or deer. When the cat or deer are out of her yard she is happy and stops.

2Jazz Deer 10-13.JPG

K

KennyV

There are piles of deer poop EVERYWHERE on my yard, maybe I better get a BB gun to run them off as she suggested...:laughing:

For deer I would suggest a center fire rifle round... just shooing them off will generally put them right smack in front of someones car...
Too many folks have been salt lick & feeding deer, bringing them more often into populated areas... and right into the traffic ... not good for deer and not good for the folks trying to dodge them... :smile:KennyV

H

Honey

There are huge colonies of feral cats in my community and no matter how much we complain, no one will do anything about it. They fight with the 8 cats I feed and look after and I get very tired of the mess they leave in my yard. Excuse me if I get angry enough to want to shoot at them!

K

KennyV

...feral cats...They fight with the 8 cats I feed and look after
... Excuse me if I get angry enough to want to shoot at them!

If they were disturbing my barn cats. They would already be history... don't blame you at all... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

There are huge colonies of feral cats in my community and no matter how much we complain, no one will do anything about it. They fight with the 8 cats I feed and look after and I get very tired of the mess they leave in my yard. Excuse me if I get angry enough to want to shoot at them!

Had you been more detailed in your original post it would have given us a clear picture of your situation....I'd probably want to throw something at them myself.

Jetblast

Jetblast

That is a bit of a twist. I wouldn't put up with any living creature that threatens and fights my pets, but I wouldn't want to kill or maim it if I could get the job done otherwise. It's a shame that you have no relief given the property taxes we all pay. Where I live the property taxes are very high, but animal control does a good job of collecting pets-gone-bad due to irresponsible human behavior and gives them a chance at adoption. A slim chance, but a chance nonetheless. When they lag in their role, I get on the horn and burn their asses. I have no kids in school so I want something for my $400 per month. Failing that...

You might consider an Airsoft pistol. It'll provide the results you need, but not maim as long as you don't target the face.

Amazon.com: UTG Airsoft UHC 1911 Pistol: Sports & Outdoors

JDgreen

JDgreen

Dawwwwww! Nice kitty.

These are my mobile lawn fertilization units.

4952589983_6955161ecf_m.jpg

Beautiful dogs...I am envious THEY know how to share...beautiful picture....:thumbsup:

Jetblast

Jetblast

Beautiful dogs...I am envious THEY know how to share...beautiful picture....:thumbsup:

Thank you. I got 'em used through an Australian Shepherd rescue organization. Somebody paid big money for them but failed to appreciate what they had.

H

Honey

I called animal control, they make me very angry, do you know what they asked me? "Do I feed them" Yes, but not by choice, they break into my porch and eat and fight with mine till they get something to eat, even the dog's food. They told me since I "feed" them, they are now my problem!

Thanks for nothing!

JDgreen

JDgreen

I called animal control, they make me very angry, do you know what they asked me? "Do I feed them" Yes, but not by choice, they break into my porch and eat and fight with mine till they get something to eat, even the dog's food. They told me since I "feed" them, they are now my problem!

Thanks for nothing!

Reminds me of this, something that happened about 20 years ago, I had moved to the country and put up my first bird feeder, the pigeons got into the feeder and hogged it all down before the other birds could get any. Was griping to my then-girlfriend about that, know what she told me?

"If you are putting out the bird seed, you can't tell the pigeons NOT to have any, can you...?"

Although I understand your situation, by putting out food, even if the feral cats "break into" :confused2::confused2: your porch, you can't tell them not to have any, can you?

I would get a hose and be ready, or if too cold for a hose, a garden sprayer full of soap and water, maybe that would discourage the varmints. A garden sprayer pumped up can shoot a pretty long stream of soapy water, aim for their eyes.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Thank you. I got 'em used through an Australian Shepherd rescue organization. Somebody paid big money for them but failed to appreciate what they had.

"Got 'em used" the man says....have never seen that expression as applied to rescued pets...unique term, and bless you for your kindness in giving those pooches a new home....:thumbsup:

Jetblast

Jetblast

I installed a nice bird feeder with LED lights in my front garden and the pigeons and squirrels took it over. I solved the problem by renaming it "my pigeon and squirrel feeder".

It's hard to blame an animal for cashing in on accessible food, so you might have to figure out a way to feed your own cats without leaving food on the porch unattended. They're just trying to survive and they know where the food is.

K

KennyV

I installed a nice bird feeder with LED lights in my front garden

Are the LED lights for a more pleasant dining experience? :smile:KennyV

Jetblast

Jetblast

Are the LED lights for a more pleasant dining experience? :smile:KennyV

24 hr. service like Waffle House but with a cleaner bathroom.

KJINTF

KJINTF

And all I have to worry about are
Elk, White Tail, Bear, Coyote, Turkeys, Plus my two large Dogs
All of them love to come and poop on my 4 acre lawn
45 minutes every morning and it's shoveled off to the side
All part of living in a wonderful place

Attachments

Bison

Bison

I guess you don't live on the farm like i do and have to deal with other peoples dogs chasing the farm animals. And stray tomcats p!ssing everywhere
I won't kick these dogs and cats,oh no.

I kill them on sight.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I guess you don't live on the farm like i do and have to deal with other peoples dogs chasing the farm animals. And stray tomcats p!ssing everywhere
I won't kick these dogs and cats,oh no.

I kill them on sight.

I truthfully hope you are joking us, because of the date today. Otherwise, you sound awfully p----- off about stray animals for some reason.

KJINTF

KJINTF

I would easily shoot a sheep or a cow that came on the property but never a Wolf, Dog or neighbors Cat. Hamburger, Steak and Mutton taste great. Way better than Venison or any other wild thing

Bison

Bison

I truthfully hope you are joking us, because of the date today. Otherwise, you sound awfully p----- off about stray animals for some reason.
No i ain't joking.

I have had neighbors dogs chase my horses trough the fence(had to shoot one cause it got hung up and broke its leg)
I had my bison harrassed by these dogs to the point they broke out(guess who spend all day trying to round them up and having to fix the fence!?)
On another occasion i had a bunch of newly weaned calves chased trough the corral boards,i had to do all that work allover again(much tougher job the second time)
I have talked to these 3 neighbors about it,they claim not to know a thing and wont take responsibillity.
I have caught some dogs and taken them to the SPCA,only to have them return to my yard an other time.
I have warned the neighbors to keep their animals on their own yard,if not,i will shoot them.
I have called the cops a few times ,they talked to the dog owners,it did not help.

I can't see why i would have to put up with this crap,i'm done with phoning and talking and fixing on some ones elses problem.So now i kill them on sight,done deal,Dog problem solved.
I cant stand cats to start with,espessially the stink of tomcats in breeding season so they get the same treatment:tongue:

People have no problem killing and eating farm animals for food,i make no bones killing predators or vicious dogs that treaten my livelyhood or cause problems.

Don't blame me,blame the irresponsible dog owners.

K

KennyV

No i ain't joking.

Don't blame me,blame the irresponsible dog owners.

little problem connecting everything you stated with "blame the irresponsible dog owners"

But then I'm sure you have considered all the consequences to "problem solved"

Jetblast

Jetblast

I kill them on sight.

No i ain't joking.

I have had neighbors dogs chase my horses trough the fence... yada yada blibbity blabbety... look at me! I'm an internet tough guy!

I watch and contain my dogs to the best of my ability, but there's always a chance that they could dig out from under my fence get into trouble on an adjacent property. I understand your frustrations, but if you killed my dogs I'd drop you just like you would me if I killed your child for whacking my mailbox for the third time, or for stealing from my property.

No hard feelings, right? Just had to do what I had to do. Why couldn't you control him?

I think you underestimate the bond some have with their pets when you say what you did. Let's put it this way. You, me, and my two dogs are on a lifeboat but there's only room for three of us. Good chance you're going to find out how long you can tread water. Nothing personal, just have to protect what's important to me. If you were a better man it might go differently. Wise up.

Bison

Bison

This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.If you was warned a couple times and don't take actions to contain your dogs and you offered no help with fixing and/or paying for the damage,then you would be your own dogs killer by default.
Comparing a kid with a dog is ridiculous and you know it.

This user does not have permission to use the HTML BB code.
Hard feelings be d%mned,why should i have to control your animals.If my Bison would run amock on your place you would scream blood and murder if i didn't show up to get them of your property either.

I think you underestimate the bond some have with their pets when you say what you did. Let's put it this way. You, me, and my two dogs are on a lifeboat but there's only room for three of us. Good chance you're going to find out how long you can tread water. Nothing personal, just have to protect what's important to me. If you were a better man it might go differently. Wise up.

That clearly shows your Selfish caracter if you value a dog over your fellow man.If you love your dog that much,then dont put it repeatedly in harms way.Do you let your kids play on the highway too?.
If my dog(yes i have one) proves to be a problem for my neighbors,i would not wait for you to shoot t,i would kill that dog myself.
My dog would be no good to me on your yard. That means i take responibillity !

And you tell me to "wise up":rolleyes:

Bison

Bison

little problem connecting everything you stated with "blame the irresponsible dog owners"

But then I'm sure you have considered all the consequences to "problem solved"

By law i have the right to shoot feral and nuisance dogs without notice,that includes coyotes,wolves and bears.
Now,which consequeses would there possibly be!?

Jetblast

Jetblast

[/B]
That clearly shows your Selfish caracter if you value a dog over your fellow man.If you love your dog that much,then dont put it repeatedly in harms way.Do you let your kids play on the highway too?.
If my dog(yes i have one) proves to be a problem for my neighbors,i would not wait for you to shoot t,i would kill that dog myself.
My dog would be no good to me on your yard. That means i take responibillity !

And you tell me to "wise up":rolleyes:

Depends on the dog and it depends on the man. Do I value my dogs over some trigger-happy mutant hillbilly who'd shoot someone's pet over something like that? You bet.

Some sociopath like you shows up in every thread about pets, here and elsewhere. Did talking about killing pets make you feel like a tough guy, Jethro? Do you feel any less ignorant, any richer, any more attractive to women than you did yesterday? Yeah, I didn't think so. Your best bet is to head over to Hooterville Motors and make a down payment on a Hummer.

Bison

Bison

Depends on the dog and it depends on the man. Do I value my dogs over some trigger-happy mutant hillbilly who'd shoot someone's pet over something like that? You bet.

Some sociopath like you shows up in every thread about pets, here and elsewhere. Did talking about killing pets make you feel like a tough guy, Jethro? Do you feel any less ignorant, any richer, any more attractive to women than you did yesterday? Yeah, I didn't think so. Your best bet is to head over to Hooterville Motors and make a down payment on a Hummer.
You just don't get it do ye!
You sound like one of these ignorant childless city slickers and no nothing about farm and country life.
Their only reason for living is their little fluffy.:tongue:
You also seem one of these guys that blame everything on others,you would make a good parole officier.Gods gift to criminals:thumbsup:,to heck with the victems(it was their fault 'right!)they just where in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hey,go work for PETA '...if you not allready do'?

I don't enjoy killing some one elses pet if you think that.But people that let their dogs run wild don't deserve any better

K

KennyV

[/B]

Now,which consequeses would there possibly be!?

I suspect you will find out...
Hasty overreaction ALWAYS has consequences, ...

JDgreen

JDgreen

I suspect you will find out...
Hasty overreaction ALWAYS has consequences, ...

If it's indeed true that dogs are running wild and attacking his livestock, I agree,he does have the right to shoot them. But first I'd inform the owners of the dogs, if you do indeed know the owners, what will happen if you happen to catch their dogs again. If he did give them fair warning, blast away. As for the tomcats...catch them with a live trap and take them to the amimal shelter.

Problem solved.

Jetblast

Jetblast

You just don't get it do ye!
You sound like one of these ignorant childless city slickers and no nothing about farm and country life.
Their only reason for living is their little fluffy.:tongue:

Yeee hawwww! My sisterwife and me don't take to no fancy book larnin' and that tool of the devil you call readin'.

I heard banjo music the whole time I was reading that.

Sorry, where are my manners? Translation: I dun heared banjo pickin the hole durned time I wuz a readin' that ya'll.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I have tried to keep out of this, but --- guess I'm just not able.

I can see both sides here.

If any farmer who is raising animals for even part of his living has a situation with stray animals causing problems and has made a reasonable effort to talk to owners and authorities with no positive results, He has a right to take care of the problem.

I understand that people (in general) are attached to their pets, (I LOVE my Chocolate Lab and we call her our Daughter) but some people have animals and do not act responsible and don't care about keeping them at home and out of trouble.

It isn't the fault of the animal, but if it isn't cared for and becomes a problem ---- Unless Owners, Animal Control, Law, or Wardens will solve the problem ---- I understand the need to take care of it.

Owners should be fined and forced to pay for repairs if their animals cause problems and damage.

Anyone who does not or will not take care of their animals should not be allowed to have them. :mad:

Last - Let's not start with the attacks on any group of people because of where they were raised.
EVERY group has Good :thumbsup: and Bad :thumbdown: --- Smart :thumbsup: and Stupid :thumbdown: :smiley_aafz:.

Just MHO and my :2cents:

BKBrown

BKBrown

I guess my last post must have been a thread killer comment ? :anyone:

JDgreen

JDgreen

No, it wasn't by my standards. Many times I have the last comment on a thread but don't think anything of it. I did think your post was well writtem but when I tried to reply to it my laptop wouldn't permit me to scroll to the bottom of the blank area. For some reason when I am on LMF many times when trying to answer to a post, my computer will not let me scroll down to the blank area, the cursor keeps jumping up into the body of the text the last poster made. I have the same problem whether I use the touchpad or an external mouse. But it is not always that way...:confused2:

BKBrown

BKBrown

OK - was affraid I had somehow offended everyone. :eek:

No, it wasn't by my standards. Many times I have the last comment on a thread but don't think anything of it. I did think your post was well written

Jetblast

Jetblast

I'd say yes, and for the right reasons. Had this thread gone on much longer, it might have gotten unpleasant to read!

I have a lot of experience with this dog problem, as they get dumped out in my rural area by people who apparently haven't heard of an animal shelter. On several occasions they've harassed my dogs through my fence, and in the past would lead my previous old and arthritic dogs on chases which I could not tolerate.

There's a more humane way to deal with strays than killing them with gunfire. I'd imagine we all pay thousands annually in property taxes, and nearly every county in the country has an Animal Control division. They're my employees and they're your employees. I've been able to get a leash on all but one dog that was on my property harassing my dogs, and I held them in the garage with food and water until Animal Control showed up which never has taken more than a few hours. Or you can tie them to a tree, etc. This is what they do, because having stray dogs form packs is a huge problem. I've put them on my mobile phone's speed dial so I can get them headed my way while I'm capturing the dog.

Once the dog is picked up, the owner may reclaim it and get "a wallet education" for the future. Or the dog will be offered a chance at adoption and hopefully end up with a better owner. Or the dog will be euthanized in a manner less crazy than gunfire. I'm sure you're all ace shots like me, but we all miss once in a while and it's not good to have a wounded, yelping, and crying dog get away from you.

I don't know. To me this doesn't seem like more trouble than shooting a dog and dealing with it's carcass, and it's a service you're already paying for.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I finally looked at this thread because I noticed it wouldn't go away it was at the top of the list for weeks with 40 some responses. I asked myself "why are so many people interested in animal waste?"
You're right. That is how the law is works in every state that I'm familiar with (which is only a few).

I have 3 dogs and I couldn't bare to see any one of them harmed. I'm one of those pet owners that Bison referred to except I don't live in the city.
I keep a close eye on my dogs, as if they escape they have a fair chance of getting killed one way or the other. Could be a vehicle or could be someone protecting something just as dear to them as my dogs are to me.
A neighbors bull dog got in my yard once and tried to wreak havoc on my three, This is a dog that is bred to fight and kill other dogs, it's weight was easily twice that of the combined weight of my three. One of my dogs sustained a serious head wound. When I confronted the neighbor about it, he apologized and suggested I shoot the dog if it happened again. I doubt I would have shot the dog even if I had a gun on my hip, mostly for fear of hitting one of my own dogs and regrets over killing someone's pet.
This subject and subjects about animals or pets can get very heated very quickly, try bringing up Michael Vick's name in certain circles. Jetblast, I can tell your passionate about this but your way out of line with your comments in my opinion, and opinions are what we do here.
If you can't keep your dog on your property you are going to have problems and most likely so are your neighbors. The local law enforcement has more important things to do then worry about pets. I'm sure your aware of how many dogs and cats are euthanized every month using our tax dollars. This results from stray dogs and cats that most likely came directly or indirectly from irresponsible pet owners. Dogs running loose quickly find and impregnate other dogs and the cycle continues. They spread disease and parasites. If nobody wants them and they aren't picked up they soon get injured, sick or die of malnourishment.
Why assume the dog that Bison shot was not one of these stray unwanted dogs? Bison was protecting his, and has every right to do so as stated by law.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I did think your post was well writtem but when I tried to reply to it my laptop wouldn't permit me to scroll to the bottom of the blank area. For some reason when I am on LMF many times when trying to answer to a post, my computer will not let me scroll down to the blank area, the cursor keeps jumping up into the body of the text the last poster made. I have the same problem whether I use the touchpad or an external mouse. But it is not always that way...:confused2:

Your not the only one, it happens to me to, it's as if they don't want long posts here:laughing:. I find it very annoying. I have to use the up and down arrows to navigate the text.
Why don't you consult Muahammad about this?

Jetblast

Jetblast

RobertBrown, post #32 in this thread from Bison was a troll intended to set me off, and it did. I have no regrets about my replies, but I guess you can't be blamed for not finding them as funny as I did. I tend to stay away from emoticons and exclamation points, so the attempts at humor are not always detectible. And for the record, "hillbilly" isn't a geographical description to me, it's a state of mind.

I'm not suggesting anyone call law enforcement, as in the police or county sheriff. I'm suggesting they call their animal control department. This is why they exist.

Bison

Bison

No,it wasn't,but i have the same problem as JDGreen(curser keeps jumping in the tread) so i couldn't finnish what i wanted to say.

Bison

Bison

RobertBrown, post #32 in this thread from Bison was a troll intended to set me off, and it did. I have no regrets about my replies, but I guess you can't be blamed for not finding them as funny as I did. I tend to stay away from emoticons and exclamation points, so the humor is not always detectible. And for the record, "hillbilly" isn't a geographical description to me, it's a state of mind.

I'm not suggesting anyone call law enforcement, as in the police or county sheriff. I'm suggesting they call their animal control department. This is why they exist.
Look man,i wasn't trolling at at al.
I ain't a politician and say what is on my mind.

I have a bison ranch out in a remote area in northern Can,I love animals,i make my living from them.
I have enough trouble with coyotes,wolves and the occasional bear.
I ain't in the mood nor have the time to have to deal with feral or stray dogs that are dropped of in the area by people that don't want them anymore for what ever reason.These dogs become my problem,these kind of dogs are not your usual little friendly house dogs either.
Most are pit bulls,rothweilers,shepards and such.

FYI,no one gives a hood.I'm done with our local SPCA who do not come to pick up these animals when i'm able to catch them.I have to bring them there(30 ml one way)
As i stated before,Law enforcement and wardens can't be bothered by them either.

Our neighbors on the average keep big dogs for their own protection from mentioned coyotes and bears.
They used to let them roam the neighbor hood,repeated efforts on my side to have them keep them home have failed (read my posts)till i started to kill them off.
Today,these people phone me if their dog is missing.

The feral dog problem remains.I treat them as coyotes.
They get a bullet,like it or not.There is 3 roaming the place right now,they're as wild as coyotes.

mystreba

mystreba

I have another perspective to add. I love having all the birds and deer and squirrels around - used to feed 'em all the time. I had elaborate bird feeders and spent $100/month on seed. Until three members of my family (myself included) contracted Lyme disease. If you've never had it or don't know someone who's had it, let me tell you it is one NASTY disease. If you don't catch it early you've got a debilitating disease FOR LIFE. I didn't catch mine early - but thank goodness after my experience we knew what to look for so my wife and son did catch theirs early. In later stages the disease will attack your organs and shorten your life. Bottom line is, stray animals running your property are a risk if you live in a high-density Lyme area.

I've now shut down all my feeding operations and will do anything to keep animals off the property, including shoot-to-scare. But generally, if you eliminate the food source, you eliminate the animals.

It's not common knowledge but the REAL culprit with Lyme is not deer, but field mice. They are the food source for nymph-stage deer ticks, and THEY transmit the disease. The ticks just become unwitting carriers, and later as adults they latch onto a bigger food source - often deer. Generally, if they've fed on deer, they're no longer a threat to transmit as they only feed twice in their lifecycle. But they drop off the deer into your yard and lay their eggs.

I used to kill snakes when I found them around the property (apologies to all the snake lovers out there - and they are plentiful), but now they're my best friend and I love to see 'em with nice full bellies.

twall

twall

No, it wasn't by my standards. Many times I have the last comment on a thread but don't think anything of it. I did think your post was well writtem but when I tried to reply to it my laptop wouldn't permit me to scroll to the bottom of the blank area. For some reason when I am on LMF many times when trying to answer to a post, my computer will not let me scroll down to the blank area, the cursor keeps jumping up into the body of the text the last poster made. I have the same problem whether I use the touchpad or an external mouse. But it is not always that way...:confused2:

I have this problem here and there, no matter what mouse I'm using (or the trackpad). I just get the cursor in the body of the typing box, use the arrow keys to get to the end of the box, and hit the 'end' key. That'll get me to where I can type my response......:smile:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

RobertBrown, post #32 in this thread from Bison was a troll intended to set me off, and it did. I have no regrets about my replies, but I guess you can't be blamed for not finding them as funny as I did. I tend to stay away from emoticons and exclamation points, so the attempts at humor are not always detectible. And for the record, "hillbilly" isn't a geographical description to me, it's a state of mind.

Fair enough, but I still don't think you are considering his (Bison's) dilema. You may have the dog catcher across town, but if Bison calls the local government and asks for animal control, I'm pretty sure they will tell him "It's hanging in your gun case"!.
The solution to feral dogs is geographically specific. When you hear "shoot the dog" you picture something completely different than Bison does. Nothing wrong with either.

Jetblast

Jetblast

Look man,i wasn't trolling at at al.
I ain't a politician and say what is on my mind.

I have a bison ranch out in a remote area in northern Can,I love animals,i make my living from them.
I have enough trouble with coyotes,wolves and the occasional bear.
I ain't in the mood nor have the time to have to deal with feral or stray dogs that are dropped of in the area by people that don't want them anymore for what ever reason.These dogs become my problem,these kind of dogs are not your usual little friendly house dogs either.
Most are pit bulls,rothweilers,shepards and such.

FYI,no one gives a hood.I'm done with our local SPCA who do not come to pick up these animals when i'm able to catch them.I have to bring them there(30 ml one way)
As i stated before,Law enforcement and wardens can't be bothered by them either.

Our neighbors on the average keep big dogs for their own protection from mentioned coyotes and bears.
They used to let them roam the neighbor hood,repeated efforts on my side to have them keep them home have failed (read my posts)till i started to kill them off.
Today,these people phone me if their dog is missing.

The feral dog problem remains.I treat them as coyotes.
They get a bullet,like it or not.There is 3 roaming the place right now,they're as wild as coyotes.

The SPCA is a volunteer organization that lives on donations, so that doesn't surprise me, but if you're in this area maybe these guys can give you a hand by coming out there.

albertaanimalservices.ca: Services

If this isn't your area, maybe they have a number for a similar tax-funded agency in your area that can handle this problem. If not, well yeah, I don't see much choice for you. Post #32 looked like a troll at me, but I'll take your word for it that it wasn't. Pretty hard to convey tone and exact meaning on these message boards, which is probably the world's number one reason for mega-megathreads.

I like to think there's a special place in the ol' fire and brimstone cafe for people who dump dogs in the country and leave us to clean up their mess. Not a fan of people who let their dogs roam either. I suppose there are no great choices for us left holding the bag, all we can do is pick the least crappy one.

Jetblast

Jetblast

This is only happening on this forum? If so, it may be browser related due to some incompatibility. Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox? I'm using Firefox 4 and everything is normal here, but maybe I can help figure this out.

twall

twall

This is only happening on this forum? If so, it may be browser related due to some incompatibility. Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox? I'm using Firefox 4 and everything is normal here, but maybe I can help figure this out.

No, jetblast - it happens everywhere, I've found. Not all the time, either. Might be a server issue or something. :confused:

It was acting up awhile ago for me, too - but it's all better again. :smile: Strange.

Jetblast

Jetblast

No, jetblast - it happens everywhere, I've found. Not all the time, either. Might be a server issue or something. :confused:

It was acting up awhile ago for me, too - but it's all better again. :smile: Strange.

If it's not specific to LawnMowerForum and not specific to one mouse, this might be worth a shot.

1. Open control panel
2. Click on "MOUSE"
3. Click on "POINTER OPTIONS"
4. Uncheck "HIDE POINTER WHILE TYPING"
5. Click Apply
5. Click "OK"

twall

twall

I posted this in site discussion, so as not to get this thread any further off point than it already has gotten.....:laughing:

That doesn't really help, jetblast - like i said, it doesn't always do it.....

JDgreen

JDgreen

I posted this in site discussion, so as not to get this thread any further off point than it already has gotten.....:laughing:

That doesn't really help, jetblast - like i said, it doesn't always do it.....

Sorry for late response to the cursor issue, have a head cold and the screen is so blurry I can barely view LMF. I'm using IE 9 for my browser, glad to know the cursor problem isn't mine alone, thanks.

About 2 years ago I had a friend with a laptop with a jumping cursor, when using an external mouse her touchpad was still operational and without knowing that she would just tap the touchpad by accident...my laptop disables the touchpad when I use the external mouse.