Engine Amp gauge problem

Do you have any ideas of how I can hook it up differently. I know if I add a on /off switch, I will surly forget to turn it off and add many hours.
I would appreciate any ideas.

What you should have done is to remove the battery feed to the hot end of the solenoid connected that to one side of the amp meter then run a new wire from the ampmeter to the solenoid where you removed the original wire from.
No other wires should have been touched.
 
Gauge thickness is only a good (necessary) installation consideration. The off control at the key is your problem to the time meter. Although discussions run for and against an ammeter, I personally like them. To me they are like an oil pressure gauge which is "dynamic" in that it shows movement (and strength) of current flow and direction while voltage is static although also useful. Break the tie and install both. I have found the JC Whitney sourced Taiwan gauges very good , but good combo setups are available at auto parts stores.
My Craftsman ammeter lets me see the heavy charging rate just after starting and then a lighter rate while running before starting again. Negative needle can tip you to battery charging problems. Use good crimp joints on the terminals, or better, solder , and use shrink tubing readily available. route carefully and tie up long runs.:thumbsup:

Edit. There are digital gauges which are very "trick," but I guess you probably have an analog type with needle pointer, The led style need a shunt I think, which should come in the kt.
 
I also have a volt meter I'm going to add also, I kinda like gauges and they are fairly cheap.
And I wanted to fill the holes in the dashboard.
 
It's starting to make more sense to me now, I really didn't know exactly how they worked..
I think the positive and negative terminals on the gauge was throwing me off..(blew a few fuses)
I think bertsmobile 1 idea is making a lot of sense to me now, I'll try it in the morning. Thanks Guys.
 
makes no difference which way you install an amp meter as it goes in series.
Wron way around it just reads , well wrong way around so it will read - when you are charging and + when you are discharging.

However I did get it wrong.
To work the way I told you to wire it the heavy power wire from the battery needs to be connected so you would need a meter that can read 600 A.
I forgot it has a starter motor and is not a kick start Pommie motorcycle.
So it should have gone on the wire that goes from the regulator to either the switch or solenoid hot terminal, not having your circuit diagram in front of me.
In this position it will read either charging current or nothing.So if when running it shows any + number then you have it right.
If it shows no number or a - number it is wired backwards.
If you have connected it one side to the alternator wire and the other side to earth then you have just bypassed the ignition switch which I think is what you have done and why the hour meter continuously reads.
 
Amp gauges are usually wired to the "R" or regulator terminal on the ignition switch which has continuity to the "B" or battery terminal in the "on" position. Hour meters are usually wired to the "A" or accessory terminal on the ignition switch which is only hot in the "on" position.
 
Thanks all you guys for the advice, I got it working wright and the hour meter works fine also.
I can't believe something so basic can give me so much aggravation.
Between everyone's comments I got it to work. THANKS.
 

Attachments

  • image-536643425.jpg
    image-536643425.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 5
  • image-3032401057.jpg
    image-3032401057.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top