Engine Amp gauge problem

gregmartin

Member
I'm adding a amp gauge to my Great Dane super surfer, I got it to work wright but the hour meter runs all the time unless I disconnect the battery.
I don't want to do that , I not sure what to do. ?
 

Attachments

  • image-2303469113.jpg
    image-2303469113.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 10
Now you hooked your amp. gauge in a series to the wire that charges your battery? I don't know why that would effect the hour meter in any way.
 
One wire to the alternator and one wire to the positive side of the soilnoid.
I'll recheck it, but I might just rewire the hour meter. I think that would be easier. ?
 
Amp gauge measures the amount of flow of electric through a wire. What is the reason you would hook your amp gauge in a series. Your hour meter is getting a back feed from the hot wire that go's to your solenoid which would be hot all the time. Do what ever works for you. Maybe add a on and off switch to your hour meter.
 
Do you have any ideas of how I can hook it up differently. I know if I add a on /off switch, I will surly forget to turn it off and add many hours.
I would appreciate any ideas.
 
I really don't know how your Great Dane super surfer is wired. You will need to wire your amp gauge in a series to the main wire that charges the battery. Other then that you maybe can hook your hour meter to a relay from the kill wire.
 
Greg, Did you buy a kit ammeter? If so did you follow the wiring instructions, or did you break into an existing wire (which could be ok)? Seems like you may have defeated the ignition switch off feature to make the time meter run continuously. Many (not all) instructions suggest a new thick gauge wire be installed. Many problems with incorrect installation as the current flow generates heat which can melt insulation . My craftsman meter would run continuously with key on.
 
Motoman, I bought a amp meter at FLEET FARM off the shelf for a farm tractor. (Generic) I am going to use 10 gauge wire once I got it to work correctly. I'm using 14 gauge temporarily, do you think I'm having problems because I'm not using the rite wire gauge wright now?
I think I'm following the directions correctly, they were kinda confusing. ?.
 
I am taking a guess and think you want a gauge to tell you that your battery is charging. It would of been so much simpler to use a volt gauge over a amperage gauge. I have found most newer tractors have all gone to vote gauges now. One wire to positive and one wire to negative and you have it.
 
Back
Top