Export thread

All American blade sharpener

B

bullet bob

Being just a little 'ole homeowner, with a whoppin' 1 acre to mow, I hate to drop $200 on a new AA sharpener. Sooooo, if someone's got one they'd like to sell. Kinda looking at the 5005 model. Thanks.

B

bullet bob

Nobody?????:cry:

P

powermax

I see this post is old.
I hope you bought a new sharpener, worth the money.
It pay's for itself.

B

bullet bob

For a home-owner, no sharpener is going to pay for itself, especially a $200 sharpener. But I just like to do things correctly. But I cheat in this case. Free-hand is good enough.......;)

StarTech

StarTech

For a home-owner, no sharpener is going to pay for itself, especially a $200 sharpener. But I just like to do things correctly. But I cheat in this case. Free-hand is good enough.......;)
As long as you are re-balancing the blades...I still sharpen blade with a grinder and then balance them. Of course I go though a stone every few years. And some blades are simply cheaper and a lot less time consuming just to replace them.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I run a shop and have the All American sharpener. I have worn out an angle grinder with it and sharpened hundreds of blades in the last few years. Expensive for a homeowner but great for a shop. I use 35 grit flap wheels. Works well on formed mulch blades too.

reynoldston

reynoldston

A good hand file and a cheap blade balancer. It guess it all depends how bad you let the get before sharpen them.

StarTech

StarTech

A good hand file and a cheap blade balancer. It guess it all depends how bad you let the get before sharpen them.
Yes...Some of the blades I seen are really bad. I even had one 21" Honda mower that came where to blade only 12" in length as it was that worn. A total loss but that not why the mower came in for. It was the knocking that the top crankshaft bushing was causing due to it being completely worn out.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Don't have a lot of control over what customers bring me. Plus time is money in a shop.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Don't have a lot of control over what customers bring me. Plus time is money in a shop.
For a homeowner who doesn't want to spend much money the hand file will work if whey don't let them get too bad. In my shop working for a customers I use an angle grinder. I just don't know how an 21 in. blade can wear to 12 inches, something I would like to see.

StarTech

StarTech

Sorry that mower is already recycled. I don't keep scrape laying long.

B

bertsmobile1

I simply don't sharpen blades for anyone other than commercial customers .
I explain it to them like this
1/2 hour @ 72/hr per blade = $ 72
Replacement blades = $ 50
If they bring them in to me off mower then it is $ 20 each
Usually when they "think" their blades need sharpening they are worn to the point that the tip is totally round and all of the cutting edge is worn away.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I can lift a zero turn, remove the blades, sharpen the 3 blades, reinstall the blades and drop the mower in around 10 minutes.
I have an air assisted mower lift and a battery impact. Usually blade sharpening is part of an annual maint package so more is done while it is lifted.

B

bullet bob

When you're retired, lifting your zero turn, removing the blades, sharpening them & balancing, cleaning the deck, greasing up a few zerks, replacing everything, along with a couple of beers is a good 2 hour job. And it's a good job at that! ;)

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

While it is up on the lift i take the deck belt off to check spindle and idler bearings. Check drive belt(s) and idlers. Check deck wheels. Scrape out deck. And just look over the underside of the mower.

R

RayMcD

Take a look at this one>

H

hlw49

I had one come in that had half of the blade broken off. Never engaged the blades so don't know how much it vibrated.

B

bullet bob

Take a look at this one>

That's such a terrible rip-off! The short video they show is of the inventor of AA showing his 5005, complete with wearing the same clothes. Please don't support this type of rip-off, no mater what product it is.

bkeller500

bkeller500

For a homeowner, dressing a blade on a small bench grinder is not that difficult and it puts a nice edge on the blades. Never had a problem. Use a cheap balancer and your good. There are certainly better ways to sharpen blades and they may be more precise but not really necessary if your careful.

B

bertsmobile1

That's such a terrible rip-off! The short video they show is of the inventor of AA showing his 5005, complete with wearing the same clothes. Please don't support this type of rip-off, no mater what product it is.
In an ideal world people wouldrespet the IP of others and not buy rip off products.
However the success of Walmart , Harbour Freight & finally Ammozone shows people will happily buy stolen IP in the full knowledge that buying it will destroy the lives and living of thousands of their countrymen because we are greedy & selfish.
The largest hardwear franchise down here has put over 1,000,000 Australians out of work and destroyed over 3,000 otherwise successful local manufacturers .
As a detective friend use to say criminals only steal things because HONEST people buy stolen goods .

B

bullet bob

Agreed. Wife works at a local retain store, people steal all the time & resell on ebay at a deduced price. Probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans but I won't buy from them. Just me........

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Many years ago a local officemax had an indian family that was a shoplifting gang. Mom, dad and the kids taking office supplies and putting them on Ebay. No prosecution, just trespassed.

bkeller500

bkeller500

I wonder where all the Nike shoes on eBay came from.