All American blade sharpener

bullet bob

Threads
Being just a little 'ole homeowner, with a whoppin' 1 acre to mow, I hate to drop $200 on a new AA sharpener. Sooooo, if someone's got one they'd like to sell. Kinda looking at the 5005 model. Thanks.

Last edited:

powermax

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see this post is old.
I hope you bought a new sharpener, worth the money.
It pay's for itself.

bullet bob

Threads
For a home-owner, no sharpener is going to pay for itself, especially a $200 sharpener. But I just like to do things correctly. But I cheat in this case. Free-hand is good enough.......;)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For a home-owner, no sharpener is going to pay for itself, especially a $200 sharpener. But I just like to do things correctly. But I cheat in this case. Free-hand is good enough.......;)
As long as you are re-balancing the blades...I still sharpen blade with a grinder and then balance them. Of course I go though a stone every few years. And some blades are simply cheaper and a lot less time consuming just to replace them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I run a shop and have the All American sharpener. I have worn out an angle grinder with it and sharpened hundreds of blades in the last few years. Expensive for a homeowner but great for a shop. I use 35 grit flap wheels. Works well on formed mulch blades too.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
A good hand file and a cheap blade balancer. It guess it all depends how bad you let the get before sharpen them.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A good hand file and a cheap blade balancer. It guess it all depends how bad you let the get before sharpen them.
Yes...Some of the blades I seen are really bad. I even had one 21" Honda mower that came where to blade only 12" in length as it was that worn. A total loss but that not why the mower came in for. It was the knocking that the top crankshaft bushing was causing due to it being completely worn out.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't have a lot of control over what customers bring me. Plus time is money in a shop.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't have a lot of control over what customers bring me. Plus time is money in a shop.
For a homeowner who doesn't want to spend much money the hand file will work if whey don't let them get too bad. In my shop working for a customers I use an angle grinder. I just don't know how an 21 in. blade can wear to 12 inches, something I would like to see.