Adding an alternator to Briggs older 8hp

tkos115

Threads
I have an older Briggs 8hp engine from 1986 on my simplicity snowblower. It has the electric starter setup for plugging into a wall. I looked up the engine model info and this engine had the option to have an "alternator" setup for lights, heated hand grips, battery, etc. I have a bad engine out back that is the same engine but has all the parts needed to add the setup on my snowblower engine. My question is, will the snowblower engine have the castings/bolt holes to add the alternator setup behind the flywheel if it didn't come with it? I don't want to take everything apart if there isn't any way to add it, but maybe that's the only way to find out.

The snowblower engine model is:

190403-3044-01​

Thanks for your time and help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The IPL did not show a flywheel with internal magnets, which you would need to install a charging system on that engine. That being the case I doubt you can add a charging system to that engine.

tkos115

Threads
It lists part number 391983 for it under the electrical starter diagram which appears to have internal magnets but I could be looking it up wrong. But making the assumption that it does have an option for it but didn't come with it, does it seem possible that it could still be added?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Decode your model number.

1705840102363.png

Last edited:

Ocean909

Threads
@tkos115
If you do decide to go through with taking everything apart, please report back. I'd be very interested in how you made out!

tkos115

Threads
I will be taking it apart at some point soon. I need to at the very least replace the gear on the old flywheel. A previous owner must have hit it with a hammer trying to remove it and ruined some of the teeth. I did this on 1990s 8hp briggs engine that didn't have an alternator or electric start on a generator. I was able to add an alternator and flywheel to it that it didn't orginally have.