Added a Drain in my Bowl

WhyZed

Threads
Yep, If I remember to do it I can now drain the fuel and alleviate the carb issues year after year.

Drilled a pilot hole and screwed in a self tapping screw with a 1/4" head and added a rubber washer. Tested it and worked great.

P5130003+Drain+Bolt.jpg

mowerman05

Threads
Is that the recomended way and did all the shavings stay out of the bowl?:confused2:

WhyZed

Threads
There is a recommended way? :ashamed: You have a link to this please? :thumbsup:

I think I've read most of the LB threads here & I don't recall seeing it but I'm sure I must have missed it. I haven't read the whole site.

I removed the carb from the mower & the bowl from the carb before I drilled it.

Zed

mowerman05

Threads
By your post I believe you did it the recomended way. No link to any other post or site, just didnt know if you removed it first or not. After reading how you did it sounds like it will work fine. Just might try it myself:thumbsup:

WhyZed

Threads
I'm sure there are better high-tech ways of doing this. I did it literally free.

Only time used was;
- taking a knife and shaving off the nipple on the bottom of the bowl to make a flat surface.
- finding a proper sized drill bit to remove the shaft of the screw but leave all the threads.
- drilling the hole.
- grind off the end of the screw that protrudes into the bowl.

I had the carb off already replacing the needle valve and seat. The screw method seams to seal well, doesn't leak.
I went to the plumbing store looking for a 90 degree brass valve or another means when my son says, "your going to drill a hole in your carburetor, install a brass valve that is held with what, silicone?" then it hit me, drill a hole & put a self-tapping screw in the hole! The parts were adding up to over $10.00, the screw hole is small and if it didn't work or a better method arises I could always drill a bigger hole and put a valve in later.

franchi

Threads
Hello"

Why would one do this?

Franchi

WhyZed

Threads
Well, I had a screw on my bench that I had no idea where it came from :cool:

If you don't drain the fuel out of your equipment (if it is not going to be run for an extended time), the gas will evaporate and leave a varnish inside the carb that is a ugly/time consuming/dirty job because you now have to take the entire carb off, use harsh chemicals and it takes time. This bowl drain plug allows one to drain the bowl, start the motor to get the jets empty and 'Shazzam' it's winterized.

franchi

Threads
Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

In the past, I have always run my equipment until they were out of gas before being stored. I never had a problem with starting the engines after storage from stale gas, varnish etc.

I was under the impression that the drains on float bowls were to drain any debris and/or water from the carb bowls. Then again, what do I KNOW!

Stay well,

Franchi

robinb66

Threads
Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

In the past, I have always run my equipment until they were out of gas before being stored. I never had a problem with starting the engines after storage from stale gas, varnish etc.

I was under the impression that the drains on float bowls were to drain any debris and/or water from the carb bowls. Then again, what do I KNOW!

Stay well,

Franchi

your right but also it helps to get the bowl full by alleviating the vacuume in the float bowl that sometimes occurs when running out of gas and getting fuel to the carb from the tank in such cases!!
:cool:

franchi

Threads
Hi:

What vacuum in the float bowl? As the fuel is depleted, would not the fuel system be "vented" via the vent in the gas tank cap?

Stay well,

Franchi