A SHOCKING way to begin your day

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Recently, a member of TBN was describing starting/charging problems with his son's truck, and many members offered advice. His next to last post described that someone had suggested (outside of TBN) to him that he temporily short the two battery terminals out to warm the battery and give it a small boost. Numerous members wrote to caution him that was a bad idea, and I posted the following story:

Back in 1990, the warehouse I worked at used a vintage, 6 volt Clark Carloader forktruck, one converted to LP gas. The temporary guys, despite my repeated warnings, kept smoking while driving it. One morning, the battery on the Clark had died overnight, so they drove my work truck (12 volt, diesel, two batteries) over to it and tried to jumpstart the forklift. I don't know if they shorted something out, or if the 12 volts was too much for the 6 volt battery, but the battery exploded, and the guys ran like h--- outside to the parking lot, they were sure the LP tank had exploded. I was doing inventory of a shipment as they came running up, yelling, THE FORKTRUCK JUST BLEW UP....:eek::rolleyes:

Anyhow, there really wasn't that much acid damage, and no real harm was done...but from that day on, the temporary guys NEVER smoked around the forklift again....:laughing::laughing:

173abn

Threads
I used to smoke like a chimmey,gave it up and haven't looked back. you get all kinds of advise on tbn,some good some bad.sometimes it's hard to figger out the good from the bad.trial and error can sometimes cost you in more ways than one............ russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to smoke like a chimmey,gave it up and haven't looked back. you get all kinds of advise on tbn,some good some bad.sometimes it's hard to figger out the good from the bad.trial and error can sometimes cost you in more ways than one............ russ

russ, a LOT of us on TBN gave the guy great advice, it was someone OUTSIDE of the TBN site that gave him the bad advice...:confused2:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Recently, a member of TBN was describing starting/charging problems with his son's truck, and many members offered advice. His next to last post described that someone had suggested (outside of TBN) to him that he temporily short the two battery terminals out to warm the battery and give it a small boost. Numerous members wrote to caution him that was a bad idea, and I posted the following story:

Back in 1990, the warehouse I worked at used a vintage, 6 volt Clark Carloader forktruck, one converted to LP gas. The temporary guys, despite my repeated warnings, kept smoking while driving it. One morning, the battery on the Clark had died overnight, so they drove my work truck (12 volt, diesel, two batteries) over to it and tried to jumpstart the forklift. I don't know if they shorted something out, or if the 12 volts was too much for the 6 volt battery, but the battery exploded, and the guys ran like h--- outside to the parking lot, they were sure the LP tank had exploded. I was doing inventory of a shipment as they came running up, yelling, THE FORKTRUCK JUST BLEW UP....:eek::rolleyes:

Anyhow, there really wasn't that much acid damage, and no real harm was done...but from that day on, the temporary guys NEVER smoked around the forklift again....:laughing::laughing:

Good story -- they almost won Darwin Awards.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I still laugh about it...they honestly believed at the time the propane tank had blown up...that's what makes the story so funny....:laughing: